Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a range with a wall oven/microwave combo unit and a separate cooktop.

Both appliances' installation directions call for seperate cables for each with a 8g 3wire on a 40a 2pole breaker.

I heard that I can run one 6g 3wire on a 50a breaker to a junction box between the two then split off to each appliance from there.

Is this possible or will there be too much draw on the line and trip the 50a breaker if I run both units at the same time.

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
LI Hardwood Guy said:
I am replacing a range with a wall oven/microwave combo unit and a separate cooktop.

Both appliances' installation directions call for seperate cables for each with a 8g 3wire on a 40a 2pole breaker.

I heard that I can run one 6g 3wire on a 50a breaker to a junction box between the two then split off to each appliance from there.

Is this possible or will there be too much draw on the line and trip the 50a breaker if I run both units at the same time.

Thanks
nec-
210.19 (1) to (3) read that and only then if you understand it, apply it and get back to me ;) if you dont totaly understand it then you probaly should call someone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
marxlaws said:
nec-
210.19 (1) to (3)

if you dont totaly understand it then you probaly should call someone.
1. Where can I read it online and
2. Rather then call someone I'd just assume run a second 8g 3w line to be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts