Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to know what you guys think about Tv's in bathrooms,I recently did a new bathroom and some how we started talking about Tv's and sometimes sitting in the wirlpool is boring so we decided to go for broke,ceated a shallow closet on the other side ran cable wires,speaker wires and electric,framed an opening ,tiled the area and place a piece of two way mirror in the opening,put a 15" sharp LCD in the hole ,installed some highend cieling speakers,the infared remote works through the mirror just fine and the tv is safely away from water ,warming the closet a little helps keep the steam off the mirror and once in awhile wiping it down with antifog does the rest,i know some hotels have heated bath mirrors but no two ways yet ,think i'll call the us pat office before someone else does,woops i said too much :eek: :Thumbs:

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Nothing quite as high end but after I gutted my bathroom it occurred to me to do the same. I ran cable TV into the room and after the re-do put a Sharp 15" LCD on top of a round corner table. The table has shelving on opposite sides so a lazy susan turntable screwed to the bottom lets us keep bathroom supplies on one-side (hidden) and allows rotation of the TV for viewing from the tub, shower or sink. It's great being able to catch the morning shows while getting ready for the day.

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finish your concern

Glasshousebltr said:
The height of the TV is cause for concern.:eek:

Bob
elaborate,he laid in the tub and chose the height,he's happy ,looks good from the bowl too

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds good but its still a hazard

PipeGuy said:
Nothing quite as high end but after I gutted my bathroom it occurred to me to do the same. I ran cable TV into the room and after the re-do put a Sharp 15" LCD on top of a round corner table. The table has shelving on opposite sides so a lazy susan turntable screwed to the bottom lets us keep bathroom supplies on one-side (hidden) and allows rotation of the TV for viewing from the tub, shower or sink. It's great being able to catch the morning shows while getting ready for the day.
any appliance exposed in a bathroom is looking for trouble,especialy around children,mine will pass an electrical inspection,have any rubber gloves in there?

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
I seen on a home improvement show a bathroom that had a tv mounted behind the big mirror above the double vanitys. It was like a special two way mirror so it could be seen. It worked by remote control. I guess it was so the guy could watch it when he shaved or brushed his teeth in the morning. I thought it was pretty cool.

Ps that color tile is real in now where i live in northern illinois

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
nywoodwizard said:
I'd like to know what you guys think about Tv's in bathrooms,I recently did a new bathroom and some how we started talking about Tv's and sometimes sitting in the wirlpool is boring so we decided to go for broke,ceated a shallow closet on the other side ran cable wires,speaker wires and electric,framed an opening ,tiled the area and place a piece of two way mirror in the opening,put a 15" sharp LCD in the hole ,installed some highend cieling speakers,the infared remote works through the mirror just fine and the tv is safely away from water ,warming the closet a little helps keep the steam off the mirror and once in awhile wiping it down with antifog does the rest,i know some hotels have heated bath mirrors but no two ways yet ,think i'll call the us pat office before someone else does,woops i said too much :eek: :Thumbs:

Sorry I was on a job earlier this year where the same thing was done. Except the home owner went with plasma.

Nice work :Thumbs:

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its no secret

JustaFramer said:
Sorry I was on a job earlier this year where the same thing was done. Except the home owner went with plasma.

Nice work :Thumbs:
plasma is nice but the bath was pretty small,besides i think the LCD suited us just fine and they happend to have a longer life span than plasma's,the idea is no secret its been around for a while I tried to convince a cutomer 4 or 5 years ago to do it in a small guest room behind a picture framed mirror,instead he went for broke and installed a theater room with a 100" screen we built into the ceiling and about 20'000 worth of equipment,a fully automated house,we installed some black out blinds behind the window trim,hit the play button and the blinds and movie sceen come down and the lights automaticly dim.who's going to sit in a guest room when you have all that :Thumbs:

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'd like to know were that is

:Thumbs:
Mike Finley said:
That's cool!

I saw in a recent trade they are now making a TV you can get that has a mirror finish when off and is a screen while on, made especially for what you did.
sounds like a good idea,i seen something on the web that has some sort of tv with a trim that can be built into showers it looked like sh-t and cost 4 times as much.$600 for the sharp and $20 for the mirror,that the customer Liked.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
nywoodwizard said:
plasma is nice but the bath was pretty small,besides i think the LCD suited us just fine and they happend to have a longer life span than plasma's,the idea is no secret its been around for a while I tried to convince a cutomer 4 or 5 years ago to do it in a small guest room behind a picture framed mirror,instead he went for broke and installed a theater room with a 100" screen we built into the ceiling and about 20'000 worth of equipment,a fully automated house,we installed some black out blinds behind the window trim,hit the play button and the blinds and movie sceen come down and the lights automaticly dim.who's going to sit in a guest room when you have all that :Thumbs:

This perticular bathroom had a roomy two person jacuzzi bath and a mini sauna in it. So there was alot more room to work with.

·
Carpenter/fencing
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JustaFramer said:
This perticular bathroom had a roomy two person jacuzzi bath and a mini sauna in it. So there was alot more room to work with.
mine was only about 8x7 with a big a-s 72' wirlpool ,people will think its a little stange when they see him walk into the bath room with some chip and dip,nothing like enjoying a football game in style,(i call him scarface now) .
:cheesygri

1 - 16 of 16 Posts