Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
The Lash is a total waste IMO. Unless it's a large format tile where you are using a minimum of a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel, the curved bottom of the clips pulls the tiles away from the thinset. Pushing the wedges in by hand is goofy too. Unless you have bionic hands, you cannot effectively push them in every time.

I have found that the Lash does not save time nor help achieve flatness anymore than is possible within reasonable time by hand.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Do you have girly hands Angus? :whistling I do find this time consuming and hard to use and yes you have to use a larger trowel, but for those walls that are not perfect it does help. I would love to try the TLS.
I must have. That or my hands are too big. I find the wedges are too small to effectively get your thumb on it to push evenly.

My biggest issue is the curved bottom of the clip. When using that much thinset on say a 12 x 12 piece of porcelain to keep the bottom of the tile embedded in thinset seems wasteful. I could just as easily keep things flat by hand.

I will say, I do have an ample supply of those wedges now. They are great for cleaning thinset out of joints and using as spacers for perimeter tiles. :thumbsup:

Once you use a system with a gun, you will understand the difference. ;)

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I would like to order some of these Clips.

Angus we normally have the rubber mallet and suction cups out as well with these large format tile installs. I could see the curved design a problem with push out and would suspect that the back side of these clips should not make direct contact with the wall or floor.

I would like to try them out and see if it makes a difference. I have never used any system like this before and always manage just fine...

John, Lash is available at HD. However, I do recommend you consider going to the RLS. As you can see from the pics I posted, it's a much beefier system, no curved clips and has a gun to properly set the wedges.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Send them to me Bud - I'll use them up...

Do I have to soak the Lash pieces overnight like the Tuscan systems or can I use them as is?

Can I use the Tuscan system without the gun?

The other system is it sold in Canada? Where?

You don' have to soak the Lash as there's really no way you can exert enough pressure on the wedge to prematurely snap the clip.

You shouldn't use the TLS without the gun. The point of the gun is to get enough pressure in the cap to pull the tiles even. Your hand is not a replacement for the gun.

If you want to consider TLS or RLS, give Rich a call.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Yeah right! All my jobs have warm water readily available!:whistling I'll be able to soak them while I'm watching Judge Judy on TV!:laughing: Apparently Angus Raimoni has never worked on a new home project.:)
Wait a minute, don't go blaming Rich's punctuation errors on me :laughing:

That should read, "Angus, Raimondi...":whistling

Bud, don't you have a bucket heater for that balmy Nebraska weather?

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
You've definitely put in the time....

The wife saw your business card on the counter today and said, "1976? I was only 5. He must really know what he's doing."

Now that's some marketing right there! :laughing:

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
hahaaa i was TOLD be nice and play well with others now.:whistling Speaking of mapei the rep called me today saw my shower on here online and wants to give me aqua d to try out:thumbsup:
Oh boy. Next thing ya know, we'll be knee deep in Mapei talk and everyone else will think we're talking Italian :shifty:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.