Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we haven't been doing to many roofs with the 1000's of roofing comanies that started up around here after Ike, but somehow I've picked 7 or 8 in the past week explaining to them how insurance works using the recoverable depreciation. My question is, should I replace the turtle vents if they are undamaged? This 1 house I looked at today the summary called for R&R 6 vents, turbine style when there were only turtle vents and they all look OK! One more question, 15 or 30lb felt?

·
Registered
102 Posts
we haven't been doing to many roofs with the 1000's of roofing comanies that started up around here after Ike, but somehow I've picked 7 or 8 in the past week explaining to them how insurance works using the recoverable depreciation. My question is, should I replace the turtle vents if they are undamaged? This 1 house I looked at today the summary called for R&R 6 vents, turbine style when there were only turtle vents and they all look OK! One more question, 15 or 30lb felt?
If the summary is telling you R&R 6 vents, then I would go by what they are telling you to do. As far as 15 or 30, go by what the code in your area says.
Slopes 4/12 to 6/12 recommend one layer of #15 or #20. .
Slopes greater than 6/12 recommend one layer of #30.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Replace all accessories on the roof, or don't toouch it. Do you want to install a new roof or just new shingles? I replace everything including vents and flashings or I do not touch the roof. In addition I will always improve on the roof, not just repeat the same mistakes. That means I may install additional vents and improved additional underlayments. As a standard I always use 30# unless the customer insists otherwise. If this means the customer has to go out of pocket, so be it. I am not going to comprimise on the quality of my company name.

Like you said thousands of companies popped up over night and will leave town just as quick too. They don't care about quality. If you are a local established company, don't go for the fast buck. This means that your customers will have to come out of pocket on some jobs or you will have to walk away from some jobs or you will have to comprimise your quality and deal with the ill-effects at a later time when those corners you cut now will come back to haunt you.

Explain these differences to the customer and sometimes they will be willing to pay the extra.

The insurance company doesn't warrant the roof. I do, therefore I will disregard what the insurance company is willing to pay for. I will not do what they are telling me I should do. I will do better. I am not a storm chaser, and do very little storm work. To be honest I can not understand how anyone can work for what insurance companies are willing to pay and make any money. It boggles my mind how little they actually pay. I'm not goign to do a 25 square roof and make $500 markup after labor, insurance and material. That's just ridiculious.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Are you a roofer or a builder? Do you have roofing or carpentry insurance? Is a roofing contractor's license required in your area?

Kinda just sounds to me like you are trying to pocket a fast buck and skimp, even by your own admission the insurance company is paying for the vents but you want to cheap out and reuse the old? Sounds like a storm chaser to me.

Sorry to offend, just calling it like I see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts