Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to frame a pinnacle roof thats intersected by my main roof. Im not sure how to transfer any kind of mark to the main roof for the sleeper. If the pinnacle was above the roof it would be easy but where the main roof cuts it in half im not seeing an easy way to frame the part that goes up onto the main pitch. Ive thought about setting a dummy plate up high enough that it clears my main span and then plumbing down onto the main roof to get the line for the sleeper but that would be a pita considering it would be about 40' up in the air. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
26,138 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
Is that roof all stick framed?
Typically, we would get a few girders that go beside the cone, and then we could build a complete cone, and then lay the main roof on that. Looks really cool inside as well.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly- it becomes an elipse. Ill look into the formula for drawing the elipse on my main plain- thats exactly what i was asking for.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that roof all stick framed?
Typically, we would get a few girders that go beside the cone, and then we could build a complete cone, and then lay the main roof on that. Looks really cool inside as well.
Its all truss other than the pinnacle. Theres a girder that cuts off the back of the circle. the problem with doing the pinnacle first is #1 id have tio add a ton of framing, beams etc to support that back side and #2 there is a girder that keeps me from completing the circle/ plate in the back. im torn between doing it like this and just framing as much of the radius plate as i can till i hit the girder OR building the front half and then trying to figure out how to get a sleeper on my main roof.
Ill see if i have a truss layout at home and post it.
Thanks!

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way I understand it, it's a plane (roof) intersecting a cone (turret roof). If that's correct, it's a conic section - I think it will be a part of an ellipse. I don't have time to walk you through it right now, but here is the background math:

http://hotmath.com/hotmath_help/topics/conic-sections-and-standard-forms-of-equations.html

This can be laid out like any ellipse if you have enough space, or it can be calculated.
Thats some complex math for my 8th grade educated mind :) id have to be walked through it- when you have time id love to learn.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might not be the most scientific way, but if you can draw the circle on the subfloor, you can laser up and drill a few holes through the roof at varying points.
Thats freakin Genius! :thumbup:

Realy- thats a damn good idea. Ive been wanting a reason to get one of those little 5 point laser thingys anyway.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I planned on building as much of the cone/ pinnacle on the ground as i can. The walls it sits on are 24' tall. We framed them on the ground today and well lift them up when the crane comes friday.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
We did one years ago and the truss company had some trusses made for us for some of it if I remember correctly.
I remember we had 3 men on it for almost 2 days with some trial and error work involved.
Sorry, can't help much with this as we didn't run into this but twice in 20 years fo framing.

Have fun. My advice is to have two guys that are the best on the crew try to figure it out, while the rest of the crew finish the rest off.

Interesting project.

·
Forming and Framing
6,273 Posts
This might not be the most scientific way, but if you can draw the circle on the subfloor, you can laser up and drill a few holes through the roof at varying points.
Actually, i have been trying to figure this out... how would i be able to use this technique on a octagonal turret? Check out my new post.. You will see what i am up to. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
Actually, i have been trying to figure this out... how would i be able to use this technique on a octagonal turret? Check out my new post.. You will see what i am up to. :thumbsup:

Nick:

I use this on octagons all the time. You can use a circle that represents all of the 8 outside points. Knowing the radius, allows you to figure out the sides with math. http://www.pagetutor.com/octagon_layout/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts