Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
From time to time we get homeowners who ask if they should be turning their a/c on during the off-season so it starts easier during the spring and summer months.

We don't recommend this but wanted to put this question out there to see what we might be missing or not thinking of...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They may be hearing that advice as it pertains to automobile air conditioning. It may be appropriate for automobiles. I've never heard or read any such recomendations for home A/C equipment.

Hell, living in Texas, if you're not running the A/C in your car every day, hardly a week goes by where you don't run it at least a little while on one of those days. And you can bet you'll have to run the defroster one of the other days.

Reactions: accessheating

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
txgencon said:
They may be hearing that advice as it pertains to automobile air conditioning. It may be appropriate for automobiles. I've never heard or read any such recomendations for home A/C equipment. Hell, living in Texas, if you're not running the A/C in your car every day, hardly a week goes by where you don't run it at least a little while on one of those days. And you can bet you'll have to run the defroster one of the other days.
Lol!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could actually hurt the machine!

The deal is, if you don't have a low pressure switch on it in Cold weather, you could slug and damage the compressor.

We normally put fan cycle switches on the older machines and commercial types to cycle the fans.

I agree with TXGENCON!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
There is the low pressure thing. I don't see any reason to energize the a/c over the winter. It's not like they system is a donkey carrying a bad of coffee beans to the market ("work harder" with the higher temps), and the muscles don't get soft due to lack of use.

It probably wouldn't hurt to give the system a quick jolt to make sure the condenser fan motor doesn't stick the first time it's energized in the summer, but... What's your take on covering the outdoor unit?

·
HVAC Professional
56 Posts
flashheatingand said:
There is the low pressure thing. I don't see any reason to energize the a/c over the winter. It's not like they system is a donkey carrying a bad of coffee beans to the market ("work harder" with the higher temps), and the muscles don't get soft due to lack of use. It probably wouldn't hurt to give the system a quick jolt to make sure the condenser fan motor doesn't stick the first time it's energized in the summer, but... What's your take on covering the outdoor unit?
as cold as it is here you wouldn't want to even try and start compressor without a crankcase heater or it will not even start.

As for covering it my father always told me and customers to not wrap anything around it as that then traps moisture inside. He said the most you will want to do is place a piece of OSB or plywood over the top to prevent leaves from getting in then maybe roll up your garden hose and set on top

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Most A/C units don't have a crank case heater. So starting it in the winter can wash out the oil, and cause a bearing to seize later. So no, don't run the A/C in winter.

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flashheatingand said:
There is the low pressure thing. I don't see any reason to energize the a/c over the winter. It's not like they system is a donkey carrying a bad of coffee beans to the market ("work harder" with the higher temps), and the muscles don't get soft due to lack of use. It probably wouldn't hurt to give the system a quick jolt to make sure the condenser fan motor doesn't stick the first time it's energized in the summer, but... What's your take on covering the outdoor unit?
We recommend to cover the a/c as applicable. Love the donkey/work harder analogy!

·
Access Heating & Air
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flashheatingand said:
Unfortunately, our power company is a donkey. We have been quite lucky to have a fairly ample supply. But with the current drought going on.it will be interesting to see how things will play. Mini splits.
In fact, Idaho Power threw in a 12% increase for December 2013.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts