Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have started to do bigger jobs. Going from 1-2 day jobs to month long jobs. No complaints so far.

The thing I need some advise on is now that I am doing bigger jobs, some of my exisitng customers need some work done (couple of days worth of work) that would conflict with the bigger jobs. I hate to turn work down, but on the bigger jobs I can keep my guys working more consistently, obviously more money, etc...

After reading what I just wrote I think I already have my answer, but would like some other people's thoughts on the subject.

thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
438 Posts
O Thats a hard one, drop what your doing for less??

I really know that feeling, you have to charge more sometimes for those smaller ones if you have to leave what your doing.

I turn down the ones that call out of the blue, never had them before for a customer however thay want service today.

BJD

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am always up front with my customers. I let them know what my schedule is and when and where I can fit them in. Most of the time they understand and are willing to work with me.

If they are unwilling to be flexible then I don’t want the job anyways. If they persist in having me do the job well then I adjust my rates to the “Charge them out the wazoo range” no just kidding. ;)

If it as an existing customer then I will be as flexible as possible, since they are part of what made my business what it is today, most are willing to wait or help me find a schedule that works for both of us.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If they are willing to wait it might be ok to keep them on the hook, and between big jobs take a week to knock out a bunch of little stuff.

The other choice is to hire another guy or two to just take care of the little crap.

Otherwise let them know you are no longer "setup" to handle the little stuff and give them a referral to someone you trust.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
My usual response to that is something like, "Sure, I'd be pleased to do that for you. I'm currently about 6 weeks out. How's the second week of September for you?". Then, I just wait for the response. Often they say, "Okay". If not, I offer to work them in on a few Saturdays, explaining that this is the best that I can do at the moment.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I've ran into the same thing. What I have had some success in doing in regard to smaller jobs is discussing with the customer how our schedule is, how normally I would give you a firm committed date and I can guarantee you that I will be there. However because we are so busy I can either schedule you out for a guaranteed starting date 3 months from now or I can try to fit you in as soon as the first small window of free time comes up. I let them know that the notice will be short, maybe only the day before, but most customers with small projects have liked the idea.

I've found that in some bigger jobs there always seems to be a delay or some down days, especially towards the end where you might only have to be on sight for a couple of hours to do something and then can't do any more until the next day, or when you have to wait for an inspection. That's been the key for me, as soon as I can see when one of these short days is coming up I will contact that small job customer and tell them that it looks like Thursday is the day...

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
mdshunk said:
If not, I offer to work them in on a few Saturdays, explaining that this is the best that I can do at the moment.
Thats what I was going to say, do there jobs spread out over a few weekends. I don't mind working on weekends if it means packing more jobs (i/e more money) into a shorter period of time.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Getting 'into position' of being able to turn down work is a good thing, - - now you can start 'picking-and-choosing' your more de$ireable clients, - - and start weeding out the problematic ones.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
Your family time and state of mind are important. Charge more for weekend work. Ask the client if their boss asked them to come in on a Saturday, wouldn't they want time and a half? If they balk, I also tell them it's a labor law. I can't have my guys work 40 a week, and not pay them premium wage on weekends.
I figure everything at time and a half actually.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts