Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sold a spec home and the buyers are net picking the house apart. I put in a prefinished hardwood floor and they are now 7 months later requesting me to sand and finish it as part of the warranty work. The floor look good enough to them when they bought it. How do I handle these people. Its been an on going disaster trying to please them. I'm feed up. They have even complained to consumer affairs/contractor.

Could somebody tell me where to draw a line on warranty work. These people are killing me.

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
The first question is what does your warranty say? Do you spell out clearly what you cover and under what circumstances you will address problems? Or is your warranty simply "We warrant our work for X years".

You could get the jump on them by taking this to arbitration, that is of course if you have a properly worded arbitration clause in your contract. Arbitration is a two-way street as either party can seek it. Start costing them money and they will most likely stop complaining.

BTW, an introduction would be nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The warranty is a one year performance warranty. It states that work performed in buidling the dwelling located ..........is free of any defect in equipment, material, or workmanship performed by the warrantor or any subcontractor supplier at any tier. The warranty shall continue for a peirod of one year.

The warrantor shall remedy, at the warrantor's expense any defect. I don't have a warranty. The real estate agent I use had the title company get one signed. Seems vague! I've really got to have one drawn up to protect myself. Believe me after this one I will.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
Why do they want the floors refinished? What is wrong?

·
Banned
917 Posts
I spent years as head of punch and warranty work on a higher end development. I've dealt with 100's of new home buyers.

There will be warranty work, usually odds and ends. However most customers dont become tough unless a series of events/problems has happened, they hit the end of their rope and put their foot down. Straw that broke the camels back so to speak.*

*This does not include first time home buyers who like to show off their home buying skillz :no:. Also does not include about 1% who are actually pure evil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The floor is prefinished hardwood. The homeowner doesn't like the space inbetween the boards.

Well willworkforbeer you might have hit the nail on the head. The grout in the kitchen started cracking. Turns out the subcontractor who laid the floor didn't nail down the backer board correctly. The homeowner insisted the floor be relayed. After several conversation insisting that was not necessary. I had a flooring company come out and inspect it and they relayed the floor.

Also some of the work the subs did was sloppy and it upset the homeowner. It has all since been corrected but the homeowner's mother-in-law will not let up. She seems to be the ring leader.

The flooring company that put down the tile floor told the homeowner there was nothing wrong with the hardwood it is prefinished. They said they don't care their gonna insist I sand and finsih it.

I'm standing my ground. I refuse to sand and finish it. Plus the entire time the house was up for sell the floors got the most complements

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
If there is a space in between all the board in the floor it was laid incorrectly or not acclimated to the room.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
All I can tell from that picture is the floor is medium brown and shiny.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
Are you talking about the "V" notch that seperates the boards?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey everyone, well the floor looks good in the pic but the first reply hit the nail, you need a clear and well defined warrenty. Just thought I give my 2 cents, but with the economy the way it is and the fact im not a floor guy, it aint worth much :thumbsup:.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Not to nit pick...But it's nit pick,not net pick...:laughing:

Good luck with your problem.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
The warranty is a one year performance warranty. It states that work performed in buidling the dwelling located ..........is free of any defect in equipment, material, or workmanship performed by the warrantor or any subcontractor supplier at any tier. The warranty shall continue for a peirod of one year.

The warrantor shall remedy, at the warrantor's expense any defect. I don't have a warranty. The real estate agent I use had the title company get one signed. Seems vague! I've really got to have one drawn up to protect myself. Believe me after this one I will.
Jesus, a spec house warranty should be about 40 pages long! :eek:

As Leo said, I was wondering too if they are referring to the bevel in most pre-finished flooring or actual gaps between the blanks?

Is this pre-finished flooring even sandable?

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
Jesus, a spec house warranty should be about 40 pages long! :eek:

As Leo said, I was wondering too if they are referring to the bevel in most pre-finished flooring or actual gaps between the blanks?

Is this pre-finished flooring even sandable?
If it's any type of laminate I would think not...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,719 Posts
If it's the standard bevel that most prefinished floors have then it is to bad for them. That is not a defect. Depending on what the floors actually is will determine if it can be sanded or not. I have seen prefinished flooring come in 3/4", 5/8" and 3/8". Some are solid and some are laminated wood. The laminated wood is not sandable. You will burn through the top layer into the core which is usually not the same species.

If you do agree to sand this floor I would get your payment in full before you start the job. Because if you do it as usually and get the payment later in the job you will never receive full compensation as they are viewing this as a defect though it is not.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
I feel your pain...

It's a scary thing once the seed af doubt is planted in the HOer. It's hard to overcome, no matter how good the rest of the work is.

I did a banked skylight install that we dried in, before flashing and shingles, for the weekend.........we got three days of the hardest rain that year and it leaked....I Went there on a saturday in the pouring rain and tried to do better protection...we weren't finished with the whole flashing system!!! After the install was complete I stood with a hose for 1/2 hour spraying every possible weakness...still wasn't good enough for them

HOer even brought her friend in to help diagnose the problem and insult us some more....WTF... afterwards the HO wrote a scathing letter insulting my PM and me, blamed us for breaking a picture frame we never even touched, using their garbage cans they insisted we use, and nit picked everything.

I take full responsibility for the leak and I am still embarrassed about it, but they went way over the top using that issue as a way to get something for free . No matter how hard we tried to rectify the problem it all went down hill....I drive by once in a while just to flip off the house

1 - 20 of 40 Posts