Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Tuck tape as a vapor Barrier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
How do you mean use as vapour barrier?

We overlap vapour barrier and use it to seal the joints, use to to seal around penetrations in the vapour barrier. We also have the option to use acoustical sealant. I remember my 1 year in Saskatchewan the code/inspectors required both.

How would you use expensive rolls of Tuck Tape as a VB all by itself? Cost here is about $10 roll

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
How do you mean use as vapour barrier?

We overlap vapour barrier and use it to seal the joints, use to to seal around penetrations in the vapour barrier. We also have the option to use acoustical sealant. I remember my 1 year in Saskatchewan the code/inspectors required both.

How would you use expensive rolls of Tuck Tape as a VB all by itself? Cost here is about $10 roll
Stop shopping at Home Depot Chris, I get it for 6.50 last I checked, Venture brand.

One inspector wouldn't allow a floating seam to be made with acoustic sealant, those had to be taped. Another job the inspector said it was fine to use exterior grade plywood and tape the seams as a vapour barrier. :laughing:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would also like to know in what way the op means to use tuck tape. When installing vapour barrier I will usually use acoustical sealant for overlaps if there is backing behind the joint and something will be covering the v.b. like drywall to maintain pressure. In the case of a floating overlap with no backing I will use tuck tape but I try to avoid floating overlaps if possible.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just had an inspector fail the VB in a basement development because we used tuck tape to repair the holes we made in the poly, as well as seal the little boots for the receptacles.

He said tuck tape does not count as a VB. We had to use acoustiseal.

It's never been a problem before.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I just had an inspector fail the VB in a basement development because we used tuck tape to repair the holes we made in the poly, as well as seal the little boots for the receptacles.

He said tuck tape does not count as a VB. We had to use acoustiseal.

It's never been a problem before.
That's bull****.

Reactions: JT Wood

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Inner10 said:
Stop shopping at Home Depot Chris, I get it for 6.50 last I checked, Venture brand. One inspector wouldn't allow a floating seam to be made with acoustic sealant, those had to be taped. Another job the inspector said it was fine to use exterior grade plywood and tape the seams as a vapour barrier. :laughing:
Last time my guys went to buy a case at HD last year the cashier ripped open the box and scanned one roll - a whole case for $10

Thank you very much

·
Registered
852 Posts
Chris Johnson said:
Last time my guys went to buy a case at HD last year the cashier ripped open the box and scanned one roll - a whole case for $10 Thank you very much
Bought a case of tapes once, scanned one.
Bought 10 stilleto nail pullers, scanned one.

Neither I realized till later in the day when I thought my bill was low.

·
GC, Finish Carpenter
28 Posts
Acoustiseal doesn't work well on rec boxes because you need backing to create pressure behind the drywall. I usually use both to get just in case the inspector is being anal. By the time you put a bunch of drywall screws (with a few studs missed) then the cabinet guys drill a bunch of holes looking for studs ,I don't think the tuck tape will be what causes the problem, if there is one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I mite have to take my vote back ...tuck ....seems to be a "hose'r brand of the "3m red" I use both "black death" and 3m red....

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
Acoustiseal doesn't work well on rec boxes because you need backing to create pressure behind the drywall. I usually use both to get just in case the inspector is being anal. By the time you put a bunch of drywall screws (with a few studs missed) then the cabinet guys drill a bunch of holes looking for studs ,I don't think the tuck tape will be what causes the problem, if there is one.
I read in a book once about energy tight building that it isn't a bunch of small holes that will cause energy loss in VB, it's one small missing spot, could be just a couple square inches, or one missed seam (or one missed electrical box). Can't remember why now but it made sense when they explained it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts