Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Baby blue tub, seriously? I thought I took the last one of those out five years ago lol. I've got a few pink fixture demos under my belt too..

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baby blue tub, seriously? I thought I took the last one of those out five years ago lol. I've got a few pink fixture demos under my belt too..
The tub is getting refinished in white. Theres still a ton of them around here. I pulled a nice yellow and black one apart not too long ago..

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Egad that is an ugly ass bathroom lol. I love those. The change is so dramatic, it doesn't even look like the same neighborhood when you're done - let alone house.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
ArtisanRemod said:
The tub is getting refinished in white. Theres still a ton of them around here. I pulled a nice yellow and black one apart not too long ago..
Just curious...why would you have this tub refinished? Can you not get a new tub cheaper?
I understand refinishing when the walls are good but it isn't going to last anywhere near as long as a new tub.

·
GC, Finish Carpenter
28 Posts
Even if replacing the tub isn't cheaper it will make insulating behind the tub way easier. Plus it looks like you should probably replace the nasty studs in there. New studs will help if you plan to tile as well. Nothing worse then tiling over a crazy walls.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I replaced the studs and reinsulated the whole thing. To refinish cost approx $500 and the tub was 3" shorter than standard. No way I can demo a cast iron tub, dispose, and have my plumber install a new tub for that. Only bath in the apt. Down time for the whole thing was only 2.5 days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts