Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming the drainage for tub has to be installed by a licensed plumber. How does a contractor work with plumber to install drainage for tub. Or is there an unwritten rule where the contractor installs the drain in tandem with installation?

Any suggestions?

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
You sure your a contractor?
So in your 2000+ posts you have never had a question but have only answered them all because you have all the answers?

Give the guy a break. We all had questions when we first started and it's obvious they are a bit green.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
So in your 2000+ posts you have never had a question but have only answered them all because you have all the answers? Give the guy a break. We all had questions when we first started and it's obvious they are a bit green.
yup, I struggled with plumbing too when I first started out.

To answer the question, yes you want your plumber to do all of the rough in. Finish plumbing is optional, if you're comfortable putting in a faucet and if your insurance will cover it, then go ahead. You can take pictures, accurate measurements of the drain location, email them to your plumber and talk to him over the phone. Ask him to give you a written quote for the work, if he needs to look at it first, then arrange for a visit. Make sure your scope of work is clear when the plumber gives you his bid. Plumbers aren't so good at doing this I have found. If it's not specifically spelled out in his contract then you can count on him not doing it. Don't expect them to be doing a lot of demo, they won't put in shower doors, they usually won't get permits unless you ask for it. All they want to do is put in pipe and then the fixtures.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
So in your 2000+ posts you have never had a question but have only answered them all because you have all the answers?

Give the guy a break. We all had questions when we first started and it's obvious they are a bit green.
Check his last couple questions.....very basic. Just making a point...and you bust more people's balls than me.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts

I ask a lot of questions. And usually don't check back to my threads for a long time.

I have asked some very simple, dumb, already answered, ridiculous questions. I have also probably given some very bad advice and answers.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I'm assuming the drainage for tub has to be installed by a licensed plumber. How does a contractor work with plumber to install drainage for tub. Or is there an unwritten rule where the contractor installs the drain in tandem with installation?

Any suggestions?
Do you have a plumber? If not, call and find a reputable one in your area. Make sure they are licensed, insured and carry W/C. Verify that it's all up to date and get listed on their insurance.

Call them and tell them you have a tub that needs to be installed. Mention that you need the drain and overflow installed as well. Find out what they charge, add a buffer, add your profit and overhead and charge accordingly.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Check his last couple questions.....very basic. Just making a point...and you bust more people's balls than me.
I do bust balls, but usually not to guys that are new to the site and new to the industry. I try to help them out. If you don't believe, not my problem, just check my posts. Most guys that I give a hard time to or challenge are veterans to the site and industry or are just being an arsehole.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
You're being generous. It looks like he's going to work on a bathroom in a basement, yet has questions on framing and plumbing, not even the normal diy/homeowner 'how do I?' questions, but more basic than that covering the process, the order of things that a GC would do. So he's not a contractor, he's a GC.

And this gc doesn't have any plumbers because one call and they'd answer his questions if he was just starting out and had contacted them.

From what I've seen, he could go to lowes and get one of those remodeling books for $20 and be much further ahead than he appears to be here.

Reactions: Tom M

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts

Any suggestions?
It's their number on the plumbing permit - they do the install. Some plumbers will install the tub as well, but the RO better be ready. Find a plumber and talk to them.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
You're being generous. It looks like he's going to work on a bathroom in a basement, yet has questions on framing and plumbing, not even the normal diy/homeowner 'how do I?' questions, but more basic than that covering the process, the order of things that a GC would do. So he's not a contractor, he's a GC.

And this gc doesn't have any plumbers because one call and they'd answer his questions if he was just starting out and had contacted them.

From what I've seen, he could go to lowes and get one of those remodeling books for $20 and be much further ahead than he appears to be here.
He'll I still struggle with the best order to do things. That's why I walk through with my contractors.

He asked who sets the drain? I doubt most home owners would even think that far ahead. They would but a tub and wonder where to hook it up at.

He asked about whether or not to frame first or break up the slab. Again a purr thought out question abd I'd you read the thread there are different answer.

And maybe before he called a plumber or his plumber he wanted to sound a bit more confident.

·
Super Moderator
10,677 Posts
He'll I still struggle with the best order to do things. That's why I walk through with my contractors.

He asked who sets the drain? I doubt most home owners would even think that far ahead. They would but a tub and wonder where to hook it up at.

He asked about whether or not to frame first or break up the slab. Again a purr thought out question abd I'd you read the thread there are different answer.

And maybe before he called a plumber or his plumber he wanted to sound a bit more confident.
Been there, done that! Although I have a lot of knowledge, there are many things that I do not know. While I usually never feel too dumb asking a fellow tradesman a question, I do sometimes do research after a homeowner asks me. I will usually respond with my best guess, and then follow that up with "I will find out for sure and get back to you on that"

·
Registered
211 Posts
as my business slowly grows the hardest thing for me has been to find a decent plumber. The hard part is that most plumbers are in the bathroom business and don't want to just come and do my piping they want the whole job.

I have been lucky enough to find a great electrician who does amazing work as well as tile installers and drywall guys and painters. I'm good at plumbing and do all my own as well as for family but it is not worth the risk for a paying customer.

On my license it specifically says "NO electrical or plumbing." I have had guys hand me handyman cards that say plumbing and electrical on them and I wonder how they get insurance.

Anyway, rant over, keep searching I am doing the same, having a good working relationship with a trustworthy, skilled, professional is worth its weight in gold.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
as my business slowly grows the hardest thing for me has been to find a decent plumber. The hard part is that most plumbers are in the bathroom business and don't want to just come and do my piping they want the whole job.

I have been lucky enough to find a great electrician who does amazing work as well as tile installers and drywall guys and painters. I'm good at plumbing and do all my own as well as for family but it is not worth the risk for a paying customer.

On my license it specifically says "NO electrical or plumbing." I have had guys hand me handyman cards that say plumbing and electrical on them and I wonder how they get insurance.

Anyway, rant over, keep searching I am doing the same, having a good working relationship with a trustworthy, skilled, professional is worth its weight in gold.
My insurance will cover a certain level of electrical and plumbing. It's coded for remodeling/carpentry. As long as it's not major and only a small percentage of my work I can do it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My insurance will cover a certain level of electrical and plumbing. It's coded for remodeling/carpentry. As long as it's not major and only a small percentage of my work I can do it.
That's interesting, I will have to check with my insurer. It makes sense because electrical and plumbing come up on many jobs. The way I handle it now when I do something is I just don't specify it on the invoice.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yup, I struggled with plumbing too when I first started out.

To answer the question, yes you want your plumber to do all of the rough in. Finish plumbing is optional, if you're comfortable putting in a faucet and if your insurance will cover it, then go ahead. You can take pictures, accurate measurements of the drain location, email them to your plumber and talk to him over the phone. Ask him to give you a written quote for the work, if he needs to look at it first, then arrange for a visit. Make sure your scope of work is clear when the plumber gives you his bid. Plumbers aren't so good at doing this I have found. If it's not specifically spelled out in his contract then you can count on him not doing it. Don't expect them to be doing a lot of demo, they won't put in shower doors, they usually won't get permits unless you ask for it. All they want to do is put in pipe and then the fixtures.
Most of the plumbers i've used - rough in price per app. and finish price per app. A lot of time they want the finish work (as thats where the $ is). I wouldn't get a price over the phone nor would I give one. If they want work them come look.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts