Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Swanny
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had an issue with TT XLM boards being different in thickness between the Grooved and the Solid boards, as well as the color being slightly different?

If so, did your supplier or TT rep help you out.

·
Swanny
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference is about a 1/16" or better. We had to shim a lead board that ran perpendicular to the grooved boards.

Thought it might be the wood off a bit until I held the two cut ends against eachother.

The color change is obvious where we had a miter joint between a grooved and a solid.

I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Awww Hell, composite is not perfect???? you had to do a little work, and you want the Rep to fix it???

Welcome to the Real World. J.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
You do know that miter is too tight, right?

Leave 1/8" even at the miters. Tsk, tsk, tsk...That's half your problem right there. If you left the gap, you'd be that much further away from noticing.

If you are worrying about 1/16" on a deck, you could be in the wrong business. After a month of wood moving around, 1/16 is not going to be noticeable. Tight miters are nice, but they are real, real tough to keep looking good long term.

The color difference is obvious. My guess is that your distributor is sending out some older stock. I run miles of XLM and never had the color issue.

·
Swanny
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The miters are pocket screwed using a kreg tool.

They are short stair returns and won't grow much.

Actually picked up on that from one of Mac's posts (the big deck/stairs project).

Beautiful work!

Maybe you should let Mac know about the miters too.

·
Custom Builder
7 Posts
I've used the Kreg Jig on short run mitres and haven't had anything but happy HO's. I keep monitoring my work to see if things change over the course of time, haven't had any huge issues yet. I'm in a good test climate, our temps range from -40 to 104F... If things go south, I'll be the first to admit my procedures need tweaking. In my experience, you may want to think about gapping long runs, that TT XLM loves to expand and contract... I'm sure some of our other professionals have had experience in this, hope they'll care to share as well! As for the color, has TT given you any feedback?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts