Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working with a vendor and am having some trouble understanding their estimate. I've only ever done work for homeowners and never messed with vendors, but I figured I'd give it a try. Over the phone, the guy told me he wants me to demo and install kitchen cabinets, remove old vinyl flooring and install new, remove the old carpet (but he said someone else will be installing it), some drywall, and painting. He said he wants me to take a look at it on Monday to tell him how much everything would be for my services. So I received the work order in an email and it has the jobs listed that we talked about, but also has other things on there like removing the refrigerator, replacing the garbage disposal, and a bunch of other things. None of these line items have any dollar amount beside them, except at the bottom, it says $1,535.15. So I'm confused. Is that amount what he is planning on paying me for my portion of the labor? I don't understand why he would have said to come out and let him know how much it would cost if there's a dollar amount at the bottom of the work order. Does anyone know what he could be meaning by all of this?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been doing handyman and reno jobs for about 10 years working for various companies, but now I'm doing it on my own and I don't have much experience with the paperwork side of things. So I'm just looking for some guidance

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am working with a vendor and am having some trouble understanding their estimate. I've only ever done work for homeowners and never messed with vendors, but I figured I'd give it a try. Over the phone, the guy told me he wants me to demo and install kitchen cabinets, remove old vinyl flooring and install new, remove the old carpet (but he said someone else will be installing it), some drywall, and painting. He said he wants me to take a look at it on Monday to tell him how much everything would be for my services. So I received the work order in an email and it has the jobs listed that we talked about, but also has other things on there like removing the refrigerator, replacing the garbage disposal, and a bunch of other things. None of these line items have any dollar amount beside them, except at the bottom, it says $1,535.15. So I'm confused. Is that amount what he is planning on paying me for my portion of the labor? I don't understand why he would have said to come out and let him know how much it would cost if there's a dollar amount at the bottom of the work order. Does anyone know what he could be meaning by all of this?
Did you ask the vendor? We are not mind readers here, so it's anyone's guess what that number means. However, if that's what the vendor is going to pay you, then you might as well stay home for this one. No way I'd get into that scope for 1500 or anything close.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you ask the vendor? We are not mind readers here, so it's anyone's guess what that number means. However, if that's what the vendor is going to pay you, then you might as well stay home for this one. No way I'd get into that scope for 1500 or anything close.
Yeah I'm not a mind reader either, that's why it isn't making sense to me. I didn't know if I was missing something here.. I meet with him Monday, just wanted some input. I appreciate all of your input, thank you.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Are there any dollar amounts in the preceeding 39 lines you don’t show in that picture? My thought … line 48 shows 114 sf of wall to be painted in the closet, and you need to write in your bid amount. And same for all lines above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there any dollar amounts in the preceeding 39 lines you don’t show in that picture? My thought … line 48 shows 114 sf of wall to be painted in the closet, and you need to write in your bid amount. And same for all lines above.
Yeah after speaking with him on the phone I was just expecting to meet him at the job on Monday, look the job over, go home and right up an estimate. But when he emailed me the vendor packet, he attached this work order. It just confused me. I want to do business with this company because I could get a lot of work from them, so I don't want to sound novice when I speak with him, so I figured I'd ask on here.
Nope, no dollar amount whatsoever, except the $1535.15. I guess what I will do is sit down tomorrow and write up an estimate based on the square footage. Go to the job Monday, verify the square footage, and tell him the price. It is what it is after that.

·
Registered
Custom
13,675 Posts
That "work order" looks like he took it from an insurance estimate (which are notoriouly innaccurate when it comes to a lot of detail SF estimates) sans the actual dollar figures... the bottom number is irrelevant to what you need to charge to be in business and what it will cost him to have you do the work specified... He'll either work with the real number or he's simply not your customer because he can't support what YOU need to charge to be in business...

When meeting with him, note that he sent you the "work order" but tell him you kept the appointment to keep your word and to make sure all the details of the work are included so the price you provide him will be the real number that he will need to pay...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That "work order" looks like he took it from an insurance estimate (which are notoriouly innaccurate when it comes to a lot of detail SF estimates) sans the actual dollar figures... the bottom number is irrelevant to what you need to charge to be in business and what it will cost him to have you do the work specified... He'll either work with the real number or he's simply not your customer because he can't support what YOU need to charge to be in business...

When meeting with him, note that he sent you the "word order" but tell him you kept the appointment to keep your word and to make sure all the details of the work are included so the price you provide him will be the real number that he will need to pay...
That makes perfect sense. Thank you! This definitely helped. I will tell him exactly that.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Like Kap said....Me, I get these ins co quotes sent to me by the customer. I tell them in my experience they're mostly all 50-300% below what the job takes. I don't reply (or waste my time) emulating the Exacti-mate format. I submit my quote format. Always have been accepted.

I tell the customer Exacti-mate is terrible under $10k...worse under $5k.

Further, the ins co can't tell the client who to hire. These jobs are so small the adjuster wants to move things along for his / her own sake. If it comes up 2-3x what they have, hand it in.

If your customer has more than a passing understanding about this, don't waste your time, not a minute..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like Kap said....Me, I get these ins co quotes sent to me by the customer. I tell them in my experience they're mostly all 50-300% below what the job takes. I don't reply (or waste my time) emulating the Exacti-mate format. I submit my quote format. Always have been accepted.

I tell the customer Exacti-mate is terrible under $10k...worse under $5k.

Further, the ins co can't tell the client who to hire. These jobs are so small the adjuster wants to move things along for his / her own sake. If it comes up 2-3x what they have, hand it in.

If your customer has more than a passing understanding about this, don't waste your time, not a minute..
That is relieving to hear, especially from someone that deals with these a lot. It's my first rodeo with insurance work orders, and I'm still novice at estimating period. So this gives me more confidence in my numbers. I'm coming up with around 2 times as much, but that's also site unseen. Could change after tomorrow, thank you for your input!.

·
Design Build
8,285 Posts
Yeah I'm not a mind reader either, that's why it isn't making sense to me. I didn't know if I was missing something here.. I meet with him Monday, just wanted some input. I appreciate all of your input, thank you.
Why do people come here to ask total strangers questions like this when you need to ask your potential client/customer what exactly his document means. It’s elementary simple that if you don’t understand something and you’re about to enter into a contract, you had better ask the other party exactly what they expect and what does this written document mean.

The only clarity and resolution will come from you discussing this with the person you’re about to enter into a contract with. No one else needs to be involved in this topic unless you want to spend money on lawyers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So how'd it go?
It went really well, your input helped me know how to go about it without looking like I'd never worked with insurance work orders. Submitted my offer and it was immediately accepted. I really appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts