Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I say friend I truly mean a friend and not me trying to put it off on someone. I know better but I know someone would bring it up.

So he purchased some material for a house he was going to build for his sister. Material got delivered and as time went along she started inquiring about his prices and costs. She wants to see his receipts for materials bought. So instead of saying no or even breaking down and giving them to her he made some up to look like some that came from the company. He didn't want her to see the originals because of his markups. Well she called his supplier and they gave her the invoices off of his account for her material. She got mad, called the police and filed charges on him for embezzlement saying that he paid a lesser amount for the material than he told her.

My question is. .. how much trouble is he going to be in? Ive given him all of the advice I can but now that it's after the fact its no good. Any help or insight?

And yes I realize it was stupid of him but we all make mistakes.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,959 Posts
Oof. Not sure how much difference it makes, but was the job under contract or a handshake deal? The latter is a little less formal, so might give him a little elbow room.

Hope you smacked him upside the haid when he told you about it. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i told him hes an idiot. But it was just a handshake deal.
He hired a lawyer and the lawyer doesnt seem to think much of it but the guy is still worried. Especially about his record.

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Mark-up is part of business.

As long as he wasn't trying to gouge her,
He should be okay.

His sister is probably jacked off because she didn't get a "family discount".

As long as he can back up the receipts, this is NOT illegal.

Jaws posted this in a thread last year about doing work for friends:

"...full price or nothing at all."

That stuck with me. Seems appropriate here.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well its not the markup hes worried about as much as the fake invoices he gave her.. but that was after the fact of her paying him for the materials.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not even sure how much he marked it up. In going to call him and ask.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No trouble, thats called business. Your grocery store dont pay $5 for that gallong of milk do they?

Those kinds of people drive me nuts. Expect everyone to spend their time for free.

What did the police offer do?
They police took it to the DA and they filed charges. He had to bail himself out of jail.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So he faked receipts from his suppliers? If I was the customer I would feel ripped off too. You have to mark up and cover your costs but you also have to be honest about it. His invoice should be her receipt.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So he faked receipts from his suppliers? If I was the customer I would feel ripped off too. You have to mark up and cover your costs but you also have to be honest about it. His invoice should be her receipt.
Yeah he did. That's why he's an idiot.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i wouldnt worry about any of it if i were him

1st off its his sister.....why is he charging markup? why isnt this stuff all discussed ahead of time??

when i do work for my parents or relatives i pretty much do it free or at cost...as long as i get my base wage im happy.....i wouldnt charge my sister markup on materials

this guy deserves some stress due to his greed...its your Sister!!!...be generous

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Mark-up is part of business.

As long as he wasn't trying to gouge her,
He should be okay.

His sister is probably jacked off because she didn't get a "family discount".

As long as he can back up the receipts, this is NOT illegal.

Jaws posted this in a thread last year about doing work for friends:

"...full price or nothing at all."

That stuck with me. Seems appropriate here.
I thought it was "Double or nothing at all." That way you can afford to do it perfectly so they can't ever complain.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts