Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have started a one man electrical company after 20 years of service to a contractor and getting nowhere.my question is i was trying to figure ways to get my name out there and was wondering if calling or writing letters to local contractors and real estate agencys with my card and flyer is a good idea .
any help or comments would be appreciated.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Who is your customer? Homeowners, contractors, residential or commercial? If you say everybody, then good luck. I would first start with a specific type of customer and figure out how to market to them effectively, trying to do everything all at once often leads to doing nothing at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike Finley said:
Who is your customer? Homeowners, contractors, residential or commercial? If you say everybody, then good luck. I would first start with a specific type of customer and figure out how to market to them effectively, trying to do everything all at once often leads to doing nothing at all.
I disagree. When starting out on your own you have to exhaust everything at your disposal. You have to sit down and thing of any contacts that you've made throughout the years and who you could use to your advantage. With anything new your have to throw everything you have against the wall and see what sticks. What I would do is write a letter dedicated to homeowners based on some job or jobs that would interest them as a homeowner then I would do the same for contractor as well as commercial company's. See what areas respond the best to you and what you have to offer. Something has to pan out. The less you do; the less that is possible to happen for you. But, the more you do is greater opportunity for things to happen for you. Most of what beginners do is come up with rates that customers can't refuse. But, don't sell yourself short. Figure out what going rates are and them come just under them or figure out what you want to make for the jobs that would be comfortable for you...then do it. This is only to get your name out there. The more work you do and the more you satisfy people the faster your name is remembered and the more referals that will happen. Granted, it's a lot of work in the beginning but in the long run you're starting out on your way and letting the cruise control take over. Once you find out what direction you're going and where the fish are biting...then you know where and what market you should concentrate in. It's only a matter of time before your name is your advertisement and word of mouth is your asset. Make sure your have your name on your van or truck. Have signs made(within your budget) that you've done work or even post letters for that neighborhood that you've done work or are currently doing work. Although it is better to wait until the jobs done so you know you have a good reference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts