Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone direct me to a really old thread where installing/dealing with crown on a radius was covered? Ie at the top of a staircase or in a gable on a cape.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys !

·
Registered
544 Posts
whats so difficult about putting crown on a radius? you just need relief cuts in the back. Dependin on how tight the radius is you may need to get the crown made from a shop.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,698 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
ubcguy89 said:
whats so difficult about putting crown on a radius? you just need relief cuts in the back. Dependin on how tight the radius is you may need to get the crown made from a shop.
I've never had any luck with kerfing out crown for a radius. I believe your piece with fight you every inch of way.... Unless you're doing something I'm not.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've never had any luck with kerfing out crown for a radius. I believe your piece with fight you every inch of way.... Unless you're doing something I'm not.
IDK whay you are doing, I did walnut crown on an 80' dome 40' radius and had alot of luck just putting relief cuts in the back. It took some time to figure out the depth of the cut and how often to cut it. It turned out great. I broke the radius every 20' on center and ran the crown into plinth blocks,
dont get me wrong I broke a few pieces, and walnut is easy to break when trying to bend it with relief cuts in it, but eventually I figured it out

·
Registered
749 Posts
Only way you're getting a stain grade piece of crown around a drywall bull nose is with a molded piece of crown or faux finishing what Bass does.

I personally think its cool wrap the crown like that, but it does take away the mitered profile that makes crown look great. I'd rather have the drywallers put a transition for a 90 degree corner.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,698 Posts
Bring the crown to a wood turner. Tell him the radius you need and have him turn you a quartered turning. It will need to be ban sawed for the inner radius. But that will get you a correct species round corner.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Only way you're getting a stain grade piece of crown around a drywall bull nose is with a molded piece of crown or faux finishing what Bass does.

I personally think its cool wrap the crown like that, but it does take away the mitered profile that makes crown look great. I'd rather have the drywallers put a transition for a 90 degree corner.
I was thinking more on the lines of a radius wall with a large radius. We all know your not going to wrap a bullnose outside corner

·
Registered
352 Posts
What's all this talk about kerfing crown? I can't think of a situation where kerfing would allow it to bend except maybe that one story about the 80' dome.

If its a radius and stain grade with a matching wood species you have a millwork shop make the moulding to the radius.

For paint grade or faux finish look into something like a flex trim product. Again, specify the radius.

Nice plaster crown Bass.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
Bring the crown to a wood turner. Tell him the radius you need and have him turn you a quartered turning. It will need to be ban sawed for the inner radius. But that will get you a correct species round corner.
Or you just turn 4 corners at once, like turning a finial. Then you can drill out the center to get the inside radius of all 4 corners at once.

Glue up the 4 quarters on paper and you can part the corners without sawing.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
I was thinking more on the lines of a radius wall with a large radius. We all know your not going to wrap a bullnose outside corner
The technique is the same for larger radii, that is why I posted it.

Kerfing back of crown would only really work on HUGE radii, and even then it would want to be installed flat without a spring angle, which looks dumb, of course. Otherwise you are truly fighting the wood.

Forcing the bottom of the crown into a larger radius than the top puts the bottom in tension and the top in compression, not a good situation. From a physics standpoint, you would really need to kerf the front edge of the top of the crown, which would not look pretty.

Save kerfing for bending in the plane perpendicular to the kerf, and mostly with flat stock, rather than profiled.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts