Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to resurface this fireplace, as part of a whole house remodel. It is a 60's ranch with full brick over CMU.
My question is, are there any tricks to centering the actual fireplace? I think it looks goofy offset like it is. Building it out to the right is not an option. As i'm sure you've guessed, the basement fireplace shares the same chimney with the flew on the left.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
shorten one side or lengthen the other

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.
Yeah, I was afraid you would say that. So I would have to decommission the basement fireplace, and break into the cmu flew? Just pulling off the brick veneer on the left won't get me there, and building out to the right is not an option. :sad:

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
you could try widening the opening,

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Add a small wood storage box on the side of it. Arch the fireplace and make the wood storage straight across.

Similar to this old pic of the Rumford from my 2nd house.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I actually did one like this before, but it was not fun, and it was definitely not inexpensive........you may, however, be limited.......your flue is to the left, and if it's not in the far back corner, you would likely have a difficult time centering the fireplace.......a drastically splayed Rumford would possibly work, depending.......

Yeah, I would probably try something like JBM mentions, or add something else that detracts from the imbalance......or just learn to like it a little more.....:whistling

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Add a small wood storage box on the side of it. Arch the fireplace and make the wood storage straight across.

Similar to this old pic of the Rumford from my 2nd house.

I like this answer a lot ! It may not even have to be a wood box,anything that "detracts" the eye. Good observation JBM!

No pun intended,you are thinking outside/ inside the box.:laughing:

·
Registered
308 Posts
When I was a young pup going to HS and Junior College I worked almost exclusively for a family that did restoration work on early 19th century farmhouse style work in upstate NY.
We did Rumford after Rumford and I want to give credit for the use of fire brick in that picture..we had to soak ours prior to laying them because they were so damn dense they would suck the water out of the bed mortar and not bond..as a young know nothing my job was to get buckets and stack fire bricks on end in the buckets and add water all day long...holy crap are those bricks extra heavy..

Thanks for the flashback..

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
You say that it is a full masonry fireplace? With those soldier vents it looks like a fan forced heatalator. Don't think you want to do a full rebuild but it looks like you could remove the fans and move the firebox over a lot closer to center.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You say that it is a full masonry fireplace? With those soldier vents it looks like a fan forced heatalator. Don't think you want to do a full rebuild but it looks like you could remove the fans and move the firebox over a lot closer to center.
The vents are natural convection only. If i was able to move the fire box to the center, would it be weird that that flue vented to the right side of the firebox instead of the center? The only way to really know if there is room to go to the center is with a little sledge hammer exploration.

·
Registered
405 Posts
you can move the box but is the left side an ash dump or a flue for the furnace? you can squeeze it up and offset the throat but it will not be easy or cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts