Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and looked at a job this afternoon and found out that 2 other people were going to be stopping by this evening to bid the same work. We are overrun by lowballers here just like everywhere else.

He seemed like a price shopper so I figured he would use my bid to get the other contractors to give a lower bid. After figuring job I gave homeowner a verbal inflated price and told him I didn't have my bid sheets with me so I would email him the bid. This evening I e-mailed him stating I checked my prices online and material was less than I figured and gave him the "adjusted" bid.

I know this wasn't totally honest but just trying to combat the lowballers. I will let you all know if it worked...lol

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You'll still get beat...he wont give two chits about your adjustied price...just who is cheaper. Good try though. Lately i just go with my gut and have been point blank telling them, i dont think we're the company you want to bid your job since good work is'nt cheap, but good luck with whomever you chose to do the work.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thinking was the lowballers would just bid slightly below me (trying to make them a bit greedy for a chance at good wages). You're probally right and I will still be underbid. I guess next time I am in that position I will just bury a few bear traps around and hope they step in them...lol

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I don't think your tactic is totally crazy. It accomplishes two things.

1. More communication. The more you talk the client the more time you have to make the sale and the more comfortable the client will become with you.

2. When you call him you have good news. You want every interaction the client has with you to be as positive as possible and this second interaction could create a feeling in the client that you are one of the rare contractors who is not out to squeeze every last penny out his pocket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
deck builder Columbia MO

I always say that the price does not matter as long as the quality of work can be proven. I understand that we are all in a stiff budget these days. Just keep on looking for contractors that offer you reasonable quotes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
my new pitch to GC's as a sub is
" i'm not the sub that's trying to give you the lowest price, i'm the sub that's trying to give you the best quality for a fair price"

In order for this to work, I had to target certain GC's that I know are about high quality and forget the other guys. Does this even belong in this thread ????

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If it works great.
My only suggestion would be, Watch how many times and where you use this practice.
People talk and if you happened to handle bids like this to people who know each other, It won't look so good.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Also, Some people have great BS detectors.
If they happen to pick up on this, well that won't look to good either. And word travels.
Just my .02

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I agree. It was just a spur of the moment kind of thing and not the way I do business. . But anyway, I recieved a call this afternoon and got the job. He also wants me to give him a bid on replacing all the the facia boards and gutters. Nice thing is, it's a vacant rental. :clap:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I am intrigued by your tactic. If he was truly going to use your bid to push the others down, you called EVERYONE'S bluff by doing this.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Good job getting the job:thumbsup:

You played it just right. Now give him something to brag about and you'll have done a good job getting the next job.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You don't know that the other bids were lowballers, that was just a hunch. In fact, do you know for a fact that there were actually other bidders? Actually I'm confused as to just what your strategy was. You initially fired from the hip with an artificially high price thinking your price would be "shopped" to these imaginary lowballers. Theoretically the lowballers would be privy to your price and "beat it" by a few dollars. Later on you "flip the script" by submitting an adjusted bid that would under cut the bids by the "lowballers". Now (in your imagination) you have lowballed the lowballers and victory is yours!

As cool a story as this is, it's just wishful thinking since you are unaware of the true facts. More likely is the customer was impressed with your professionalism at the initial meeting and had already decided on accepting your initial price, then at the eleventh hour, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, you low balled yourself.

Another way this could have gone is the "lowballers" after being informed of your price by the customer beat your price, were awarded the job and by the time they check their email and got your revised price, it was too late.

I do admire your cunning and moxie and I respect your gamesmanship but this could have inadvertently punished you a couple of ways. I realize this was just a goof and not how you generally do things, but you got the job and most importantly: had fun!

Well done!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I agree. It was just a spur of the moment kind of thing and not the way I do business. . But anyway, I recieved a call this afternoon and got the job. He also wants me to give him a bid on replacing all the the facia boards and gutters. Nice thing is, it's a vacant rental. :clap:
Well Done!

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
You don't know that the other bids were lowballers, that was just a hunch. In fact, do you know for a fact that there were actually other bidders? Actually I'm confused as to just what your strategy was. You initially fired from the hip with an artificially high price thinking your price would be "shopped" to these imaginary lowballers. Theoretically the lowballers would be privy to your price and "beat it" by a few dollars. Later on you "flip the script" by submitting an adjusted bid that would under cut the bids by the "lowballers". Now (in your imagination) you have lowballed the lowballers and victory is yours!

As cool a story as this is, it's just wishful thinking since you are unaware of the true facts. More likely is the customer was impressed with your professionalism at the initial meeting and had already decided on accepting your initial price, then at the eleventh hour, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, you low balled yourself.

Another way this could have gone is the "lowballers" after being informed of your price by the customer beat your price, were awarded the job and by the time they check their email and got your revised price, it was too late.

I do admire your cunning and moxie and I respect your gamesmanship but this could have inadvertently punished you a couple of ways. I realize this was just a goof and not how you generally do things, but you got the job and most importantly: had fun!

Well done!
Zinsco, good to have you back-you went missing for awhile!

To challenge your post a little, it is quite possible you are correct. But it is completely in the judgement of the "seller" whether the potential client was bluffing or not, and whether an approach like this would work.

If he truly had a couple other bidders lined up, I think it's a very interesting angle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It's disappointing to see so many posters applaud dishonesty. Is it any wonder that contractors have a negative stereotype. I don't know why a contractor who does decent work for a fair price would ever have to resort to this type of tactic to pick up work.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
It's disappointing to see so many posters applaud dishonesty. Is it any wonder that contractors have a negative stereotype. I don't know why a contractor who does decent work for a fair price would ever have to resort to this type of tactic to pick up work.
Blah phucking blah:laughing::laughing:

It's a SALES TECHNIQUE, how do we ALL EARN OUR INCOME??? if you cant figure it out, i'll just tell ya- SALES!!!!! You dont make a sale, you dont make the money. Kind of a strange concept huh?

For over 2 decades i've been "the nice guy", I've been "the honest guy", I've been the "he gave me more than i expected" guy.....and ya know what, the reality is there's dozens of other companies i have to compete with that understand business is business and use ANY technique possible to ensure THEY get the job and I dont, plus customer mentality is a joke with what they expect in product/service and what they expect to pay....HO's are more than willing to fight so whomever they use loses money to do their job, so using different sales techniques is just a way to make a sale and win the job.

Dont step down off that high horse, better ride off and keep doing all that non stop big margin work your selling by telling the homeowner exact material cost, your exact overhead cost, and your exact margins...so at least that way your not "the stereotype":rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts