Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just bought a Columbia prefinished hardwood floor for the kitchen area in his home. He has had some problems in the kitchen area with the finish chipping off and exposing the wood underneath. Also, a few of the boards have cracks running down their centers. But he has used a water-based hardwood floor spray cleaner??

Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

He's set a humidifier on the furnace at 45% in the Fall and Winter so I don't think it's a humidity issue.

Whats goin on !?!?!?!?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Don't hardwood floor cleaners state not to use water products on them? Something does not compute, Will Robinson...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I give all my clients a bottle of bellawood hardwood flooring cleaner. It's an all nautral non toxic soy based cleaner that contains no water. My favorite is the swifer wetjet; it says in the corner "For Wood Floors". Flip it over and the first ingreadiant is water. I've seen bambo grow mold at the joints from cleaning wood floors with water-based products.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sight unseen, and based on what you have detailed, I would suggest that it is a defective product. The finish should not be flaking unless there is more to the story.
I am not sure what you meant by, "But he has used a water-based hardwood floor spray cleaner??"
Typo? Question or statement?

·
Knowledge Factory
1,359 Posts
My friend just bought a Columbia prefinished hardwood floor for the kitchen area in his home. He has had some problems in the kitchen area with the finish chipping off and exposing the wood underneath. Also, a few of the boards have cracks running down their centers. But he has used a water-based hardwood floor spray cleaner??

Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else?

He's set a humidifier on the furnace at 45% in the Fall and Winter so I don't think it's a humidity issue.

Whats goin on !?!?!?!?

I would have to see it in person, to even make any comment.

Remember, moisture and termites are wood floors enemy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts