Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was needing information on roof trusses the pros and cons of doing it youself and caculations of making your own. Is there any sites that explain how to measure and to make your own and is it cheaper to do this? I can`t seem to find it on the computer so the best thing to do is ask the pros thanks

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
How about more info Mike?

How long are they, load point to load point?
Any overhang?
What pitch?
Any application info?

I make a lot of truss myself, but, if I was you, I wouldn't try it unless you know a bit about loads and span.

Bob

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
For a time a fella I worked for had us make trusses on the jobsite.. until one day I just happened to ask him "Who's responsibility is it if these fail in 2 years?" - last time we made our own.
We would lay out on the floor and shoot down blocks to show where the cuts were, lengths etc.. used 1/2" plywood gussets and stapled the **ll out of them.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Mike, It is cheaper to leave it to the pros, it is better to do it yourself.
The pros use cad and machines that press in the tie plates and they meet code but always just barely and I don't like tie plates.
I build my own and use epoxy and through bolts. Oversize on everything, rafters, crossties and supports. All junctions are bypassed instead of butted. I'm always on 16's too. Inspectors eat lunch on the site because there is nothing for them to do.
More expensive, yes. We had a few homes in Andrew (we didn't work in Miami often) and none of them suffered significant damage. Dad always built to 180 MPH and I continue his work. A family should be safe in their home.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I see no reason why trusses can't be field manufactured if they have been designed by an engineer... However over all it's probably sheaper and better to manufacture them in a controlled enviroment (factory) and ship them to the job site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts