Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you put in stiff backs for trusses does the manufacturer send out a plan telling you where to put them? How many stiffeners are needed? Is there a general rule on how far apart they should be installed?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
trusses are engineered, so every stiffback should be specified by the manufacturer. Usually they give you a few different options.

L shaped horizontal member with a diagonal to the floor spacer

same as above but to the ridge.

simple spacer going to the next truss.

etc.

Always use one that is allowed by the company for the specific truss, this is to cover your butt :thumbsup:

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are in the process of building a truss roof and I have not seen the paper that calls out the placement of these braces. Should I be concerned? I have only done four truss roofs before and all those were additions. This is a new home and I am not the lead. I am just curious as to the proper way of installing the braces.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
When you put in stiff backs for trusses does the manufacturer send out a plan telling you where to put them? How many stiffeners are needed? Is there a general rule on how far apart they should be installed?

What do you mean by stiff backs? Like web bracing?

·
Best looking Carpenter
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Sure, web bracing. Lineal 2x4 that hold all the trusses together. In your avatar picture it looks as though you have two running the length of the bottom chord and two running the length of the top chord. Plus you have some diagonal bracing which is temporary?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yeah typically there are bottom chord braces every 10'
and on compression webs longer than 7'

Having said that, The engineered plans will have a bracing schedule that has to be followed. Every truss should have it's own page(s) with design loads Etc. It will also have bracing instructions.

When we lift a roof I will have all the braces (if possible) in place. It's much easier when you ar 2' off the ground.

The cross brace is temporary so when the crane leaves, the trusses will stand on their own until we get some sheets (sheaths?) on it

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you didn't get the pages that detail the bracing on the trusses, call the company that supplied them, usually a building supply store, and they should be able to get them for you. In our area, one of the biggest parts of the framing inspection is ensuring that all the braces are in place for the trusses. They are easy to miss, trust me.:rolleyes::whistling

Graham

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts