Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this discussion has been had on here more than once. But... My truck died this week. Now I am trying to find something quick and cheap. Not an ideal situation... I know.

But I am undecided on which way to go. I do carpentry & drywall work. Mostly remodeling, but with some additions & new construction. I am hoping to look at a few trucks & vans this weekend. I am hoping to hear from guys who have had both. Just trying to get a feel for which they like better. I have always had a truck, but have gotten used to vans since that is what we had the last few contractors I worked with.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Longtime truck owner convert. Love my van. I'm spending 6K for a new motor this week I like my van that much. I have a 1 ton Express. 4x8 or 10's fit in side. With my rack I can haul pretty much anything beams, 20' trex, siding, sheet goods. I've carried 40 60 lb. bags of concrete inside.

If you have a canopy to keep your chit dry that's great but having to crawl into the bed and over everthing to get to that tool bucket clear up by the cab for one tool. What a *****. Not to say I haven't crawled over chit in the van but a lot easier.

If you legit (LBI) you've got a rolling billboard worth hundreds $$$$. If your on a budget look for a Astro van for transportation. I used to rent Dodge Caravans when I worked out of state. Fold the seats down and pack it full of tools it's a rental for god sakes. Lets see how fast it goes in reverse. :thumbup:

·
Registered
585 Posts
If all you want it for is work, get a fullsize van. I worked out of one for a couple years and they're a great set up for smaller scale construction work. Typically less expensive in the used market too. I like my truck because it does everything I need for work (hauls tools and material and pulls trailers) and it doubles as a toy for my outdoor hobbies. Plus as a younger guy it looks a lot better and the ladies love it. In my situation I'd be better off working out of a van but to keep doing the things I love I'd need a 4x4 truck for the weekends anyway.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Trucks are cool, but you sit in them like a recliner, in my van my feet are below me feels better when your older too!

Tools are safe and secure, I can carry anything I need aslong as its 4' tall.

I have a trailer for anything else, I drive my kids truck when I want same 5.3 motor as me and my van feels better. His truck will spin the tires off my van being awd just hooks up and goes. And no I haven't drag raced him but I'd love too hook chains up and pull his ass around for ****s and giggles!

I rarely have too climb into my van as I have the access doors on the outside so the tools I use the most are right there for the taking.

I too am a outdoor guy and ride quads kayaks bikes and my van gets me where I need too be within reason. And my van has been in a lot of different terrain and yes I've been stopped before but never been pulled out yet!

I'm not one for beating my van up too get too far off road I have a quad for that .
This was grass when I arrived early that morning!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiMBY2xC-U4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Attachments

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I like a truck.
I like to keep the crap isolated in the bed and away from me at the end of the day. Also, much more quieter.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Have had, pick-ups, vans, Step Van, station wagon (used FD Battalion Chief's Car).... Gremlins :whistling where pretty handy too :laughing:

Best all around is a Van with a heavy duty ladder rack. Easiest access to everything, haul just about everything you need, everything stays dry, already have half a ton (tools and equipment) for winter driving. LOL Always drove my van/s to get to the loader to plow snow - never got stuck and have driven through 13 winters of plowing in SE WI.

·
Registered
65 Posts
IMAG0241.jpg
I like trucks, but can see where in some cases a van for dry storage would be great. This is my latest, after driving a F450 for years. I do not need signs on it, everyboday knows the yellow truck! :whistling

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I have one like this which I love. It's got enough storage in the boxes that the bed stays pretty clear for demos or material runs. I can't imagine having to either empty out a truck every day or give up all the space for bed boxes. I also have a hard time getting in and out of trucks when my knees are acting up.

I could see having a little pickup in addition to this for easier trash runs and a lower rack for picking up long boards but I don't have much use for the big trucks.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
clydebusa said:
I like trucks, but can see where in some cases a van for dry storage would be great. This is my latest, after driving a F450 for years. I do not need signs on it, everyboday knows the yellow truck! :whistling
That's a friggen van, you just up fitted it to a truck body, lmao

If I didn't have the access doors on mine I'd cut mine up and put a sport side pu box!

But I'd have to have a new van too work out of !!!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
my dad used to work out of a van....and I hated it. longbed extended cab truck with a rack, and a 16' enclosed drag box for me.
Nothing worse than dragging a trailer around. I can't stand all the trailers I see with non working tail lights, not being able to keep it their own lane and taking up the pumps at the gas station.

They're good for taking to the jobsite and leaving them on site but that's about it.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
I'm a one man show. Hands down a 1 ton van. Make sure you get the one ton. You will regret it if you don't and carry much in the way of tools/fasteners/and shelving. I also got the cargo master ladder rack. Worth the money.

Make sure it comfortable to be spending a lot of time in.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Nothing worse than dragging a trailer around. I can't stand all the trailers I see with non working tail lights, not being able to keep it their own lane and taking up the pumps at the gas station.

They're good for taking to the jobsite and leaving them on site but that's about it.
IMO trailers are for the guys who do larger jobs and leave it parked at the jobsite for longer periods of time. You have to grow into a trailer.

For guys who do smaller jobs a trailer will cost you a lot of money in inefficiency. I can't imagine having to either pull around a trailer everywhere or hitch/unhitch it all the time.

The day will come for one but it won't be until I start doing more jobs over the 3 week minimum range.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts