Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I have browsed the forums for some time but decided it was time to create an account and start posting! I have had a question on purchasing some new springs for my work truck (Ram 2500). I carry approximately 2000lbs in the back at some times, and I mean to install a Winch on the front bumper of my truck soon. Basically i need something to maintain the stock ride height of my truck in the front and back.

I came across these Springs from TUFTRUCK while doing some research, and I wondered if anyone has used this product before, or if you know something I don't know that could help with my problem!

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
dkillianjr said:
That's my biggest complaint with my cutaway van. Between sharp bends and driving on a real windy day. I keep meaning to buy a rear sway bar for it and give that a try. Dave
It gets bad with the rolling, rough roads. I can hear things fall and I know exactly what it is by the noise it makes! I should try a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
It gets bad with the rolling, rough roads. I can hear things fall and I know exactly what it is by the noise it makes! I should try a rear sway bar.

Yup me too, occasionally I will here a new noise and cringe until I see what fell:laughing:

I was also going to add a real good set of the bilstein shocks to try and help the bouncing.

Dave

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
What are you guys using for body roll?
It's important to keep each corner independent from itself.

Each air bag needs it's own air inlet. Otherwise as you hit a bump to compress one side, it fills the other side forcing an oscillation.

Or similarly it can cause severe body roll on a big turn.

Not sure if that is your issue or not, but thought it might help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's important to keep each corner independent from itself.

Each air bag needs it's own air inlet. Otherwise as you hit a bump to compress one side, it fills the other side forcing an oscillation.

Or similarly it can cause severe body roll on a big turn.

Not sure if that is your issue or not, but thought it might help.:thumbsup:
See that's what i mean about air bags. So much risk. Wouldn't the springs be much easier to install and much safer? They are fairly cheap too, and even if they weren't I wouldn't put a price on quality.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
See that's what i mean about air bags. So much risk. Wouldn't the springs be much easier to install and much safer?
Not in my opinion. They Just have to be set up right.

It takes about 3 hours to install per axle and it's permanent. And you have the benefit of controlling the spring rate through the psi.

Air suspension is pretty much standards on the big trucks. They will typically put well over a million miles on them.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I looked at air springs for my truck. It don't sag much when the trailers on but I like it to be more level at the back. There are some really nice options . They even make remote ones you can control via a controller on your keys like a car lock. So you can see when your lvl from outside the truck. I would pick the air over standard springs if your changing them.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I believe airbags a made to be on the same air line.
when one bag gets compressed it pushes the other down for traction.
No not really it leads to an unstable and unpredictable ride.
If you hit a pothole with one tire you don't want the other side of the axle trying to push you further over then you already are. Suspension is best if it can do each tire independently

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
jaydee said:
I believe airbags a made to be on the same air line. when one bag gets compressed it pushes the other down for traction.
That's a really bad way to pipe them in. If you go around a corner and compress the inner bags your gonna push air into the outer bags which in turn causes more body roll. An anti roll bar can only do so much.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts