Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My boss was kind enough to let me build this in his driveway yesterday, as we were off for the day. The box is wedged in place by two plywood bins behind it, so that when the tailgate is up and locked all my power tools are secure from a smash and grab.

I wasn't planning this exactly, but the box would also work as a secure-ish job box if I wanted to haul it only a job site. Just don't try to lift it loaded!

Next thing, I'll be adding some handles to everything.... :thumbup:

Also, I locked my tailgate for the first time in two years, and it's now stuck locked. :censored:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Young_Buck said:
My boss was kind enough to let me build this in his driveway yesterday, as we were off for the day. The box is wedged in place by two plywood bins behind it, so that when the tailgate is up and locked all my power tools are secure from a smash and grab. I wasn't planning this exactly, but the box would also work as a secure-ish job box if I wanted to haul it only a job site. Just don't try to lift it loaded! Next thing, I'll be adding some handles to everything.... :thumbup: Also, I locked my tailgate for the first time in two years, and it's now stuck locked. :censored:
Nice job, when I first started out I used a similar set up, I used 3 TGI beams the length of the bed and made long draws on rollers that extended all the way open using the lip o the tgi as a rail, then I topped it it with 3/4 plywood so I can slide ladders,material or what have you on the flat surface. Brings back good memories that was my first truck 89 jeep Comanche with a 4" lift!

·
Builder of Stuff
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks pretty good. What all do you keep in those bosch boxes and how do you like the ?
The bosch boxes, from left to right are:

-12v drill/impact driver kit, with room for a set of drill bits and an organizer full of driver bits.
-a screw organizer
-18v Circular saw
-Oscilator
-18v drill kit, with a huge drawer full of drill and driver bits, handle for the drill, etc.

As far as how much I like the boxes... I love the ones I have the drills in. It's awesome to be able to grab my 12v kit and all the drivers/bits and a whole organizer full of screws in one hand. It's also great to be able to put my whole 18v kit (circ saw, impact, drill, 6 batteries, 2 chargers) plus an oscillating multitool all on a dolly clicked together.

The drill cases are really well utilized. The multitool case, and the circ saw case are way bigger than they need to be.

Mostly, they are great. Durable, function well and easily. I carry a whole stack by the top handle without worrying about it falling off or breaking. I have bought them as it's made sense to buy them. They are pretty pricey to buy as a whole system.

Edit: Oh, and there is a jig saw in the bosch box peeking out from behind the drill box on the right.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I have Lboxxes and Systainers. I couldn't decide which one I liked better, so I utilize both systems. The Lboxxes have a good amount of space to them, so I grouped some tools together to take advantage of that. For instance, I have a corded and cordless multitool and all the blades in one box to get the most use of that space.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have Lboxxes and Systainers. I couldn't decide which one I liked better, so I utilize both systems. The Lboxxes have a good amount of space to them, so I grouped some tools together to take advantage of that. For instance, I have a corded and cordless multitool and all the blades in one box to get the most use of that space.
I am starting to get a little worried..others are starting to confuse us...

I have an L3 with the cordless recip, multitool, 12v, and grinder along with the accessories.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
That's why I'm a case guy for tools. The Fein case holds everything it uses.
Funny you mentioned the bosch. I looked at the festool sortainer 9 today, & was thinking the bosch was a better $ value. Still thinking about it.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,345 Posts
CITY DECKS INC said:
Hey Cali what's in all the festie boxes???
I was hoping you would ask. They are all different brands not one festie. The only festools I own are the Kapex and the midi. I liked the festie boxes because they fit nicely in my truck boxes.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Californiadecks said:
I was hoping you would ask. They are all different brands not one festie. The only festools I own are the Kapex and the midi. I liked the festie boxes because they fit nicely in my truck boxes.
I thought you had a ts55

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Danny Boy where's the picts...

Bucket with hand tools and misc items. It replaced the 22" tool box I had in the other box.

Bottom has a Dewalt organizer with 3/8" and 1/2" sockets and accessories. On top of that are the older style Bosch cases with drill and impact and accessories.

Next row has an L3 on the bottom with the cordless recip, 12v drill, grinder and multitool with accessories. (all Bosch) On top of that is the LBoxx 1A with fasteners.

To the right is the compressor for the air horn, a bag with straps and bungies and my belt.

4' level across the back on a shelf held in with 2 brackets.

I have a 2' level, clamps, pipes, bigger pry bars, framing square, trash bags and the wrench roll-up across the front bottom.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
Dan with these L boxxes, how do they handle being side ways or even upside down? Do all the screw assortments get jumbled?

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Dan with these L boxxes, how do they handle being side ways or even upside down? Do all the screw assortments get jumbled?
No, the lid has foam on it that seals around everything. I end up with a screw or 2 in the foam sometimes but they get tossed around no problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts