Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some ideas on work truck setups. especially for vinyl siding crews. right now I have e350 super duty van. looking to purchase a trailer or box truck. I just need to transport more equipment in one shot. some of my jobs are about 1hour away. making two trips for pump staging, ladders and extra tools are costing to much time. If anyone could post some pictures of there setup that would be great.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went back and fourth trying to decide the same thing. Ultimately a trailer was my best option. You can leave it onsite. A box truck you'll be spending a ton on gas back and fourth every day. Also if the box truck breaks down then how are you getting your tools to the job? Put racks on a trailer and you can haul your pump jacks no sweat.

·
Registered
192 Posts
roofguy1000s said:
what SIZE of a trailer did you get. and would you get a different size.
Don't get anything less than a 16' tandem axel. You can find a good deal on craigslist. At least that's what I've found. First one I bought was a single axel 6x12. Outgrew that in a year. Made a $150 profit selling it back on craigslist. Bought a 7x14 tandem axel. Outgrew that in a few months. Still have it and bought a 7x16x6'6" tandem axel. About ready for a 20'. We are framers / finish carpenters / window & door installs / siding / demo etc. lots of tools. So it depends on what you need to carry. Keep in mind what you will also be carrying in the future. IE: tools you're planning on purchasing that you don't already have yet.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think vans are nice for service work, but a truck and trailer are more versatile in the long run.

I have multiple trailers so I can drop one and then haul another to a job if needed.

My big trailer is a 8 x 20, works great but its not tall enough. My next trailer will be a little taller so I can haul doors standing up in it like my little trailer.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,785 Posts
I think vans are nice for service work, but a truck and trailer are more versatile in the long run.

I have multiple trailers so I can drop one and then haul another to a job if needed.

My big trailer is a 8 x 20, works great but its not tall enough. My next trailer will be a little taller so I can haul doors standing up in it like my little trailer.
You sound just like us. I've got 4 different trailers. small flatbed, 18' carhauler, 7x14 cargo tool trailer, 8x18 cargo for delivering cabinets, doors, ect. We'll eventually replace the 18' cargo with a tall enough trailer to haul doors standing against the wall.

Had both cargo trailers on the same job yesterday.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I plan on going with a 7' x 16' enclosed tandem axel with the extra tall walk on ceiling this year. Probably go ahead and get the contractor's package with the ladder racks for all of my siding poles and picks. I want plenty of lighting inside and outlets. Just like most guys, I will build to suit inside regarding racks and cabinets. Biggest thing for me would be the perfect brake and coil table set up to accommodate the 19" to 20ish" throat brakes. Going to put a nice little sound system in there too for jamming while bending.

Back here on the east coast I've seen some nicely built units from Carmate? You can see some contractor oriented trailers on eBay building simply searching "contractor trailer."

·
Registered
74 Posts
I do very little fascia/rake capping, thus an occasional flip here and there is no big deal. When I'm capping longer runs and have the larger brakes that I set up outside. Mostly work now with a 8' 6" Van Mark II inside a nice, but way too small 6' x 10' enclosed trailer.

Most guys wouldn't want to be in that oven in the summer, however I used to be somewhat of an endurance athlete and the heat doesn't bother too much up here in Jersey. Florida, well that's a completely different animal. I do agree with TLH's point for most exterior contractors.

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I will tell you that braking IN a trailer doesn't work very well. Your going to have walk out long pieces to flip them. Big pain in the arse.
That's why I think it's sometimes funny to see a miter saw set up in the middle of a 16' trailer. When I had a 16' box truck I started out that way but quickly moved it to the tail end. got tiired of flipping 16' pcs of large molding around

·
Registered
74 Posts
Now that's a brake! I have several, all modern but not the super high end from Van Mark. Is that their black and yellow newest one with the 20ish" throat?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts