Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Roofing Contractor
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my guys was poured water used to clean out a sprayer into a street drain and someone reported it. The water only had a small amount of latex paint in it.The city had the enviromental services team run a camera through the line. Before even looking at the tape the guy at the city office wanted me to sign a work order so that they can pump out the system costing around $1000. I Declined the invitation.
What do you think, am I on the hook here? There has also been alot of rain here the past couple days, do you think there could even have been something there for them to find still? . Am I liable for my workers stupidity?

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
One of my guys was poured water used to clean out a sprayer into a street drain and someone reported it. The water only had a small amount of latex paint in it.The city had the enviromental services team run a camera through the line. Before even looking at the tape the guy at the city office wanted me to sign a work order so that they can pump out the system costing around $1000. I Declined the invitation.
What do you think, am I on the hook here? There has also been alot of rain here the past couple days, do you think there could even have been something there for them to find still? . Am I liable for my workers stupidity?
Yes.
he is your responsibility

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
Need to be careful desposing of your waste. We all know it is no different then cleaning out a paint brush or mud pan in a kitchen sink. Dumping shi* in storm drains can get you into a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
As a former employee of a rather large city (Ft. Laud., FL), your waste is your responsibility.

Your employee poured your waste into a storm drain that may lead directly to a local stream, river or lake. The EPA monitors this discharge and can fine cities when levels go over limits. This is why the cities also monitor the discharge, track down violators and charge them.

We once caught a contractor that was opening a wetwell (septic sewer) manhole at night and dumping his toxic waste into it, buckets and all. Want to know how much a REAL fine is? The Fed's even jumped on this case.

·
Registered
738 Posts
As a former employee of a rather large city (Ft. Laud., FL), your waste is your responsibility.

Your employee poured your waste into a storm drain that may lead directly to a local stream, river or lake. The EPA monitors this discharge and can fine cities when levels go over limits. This is why the cities also monitor the discharge, track down violators and charge them.

We once caught a contractor that was opening a wetwell (septic sewer) manhole at night and dumping his toxic waste into it, buckets and all. Want to know how much a REAL fine is? The Fed's even jumped on this case.
Is there anything you havent done, really
from engineer, to master carpenter, to yacht builder, to city worker.
you are one accomplished man:thumbsup:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
its always the nosy neighbor next door hatin..callin the popo's...

don't be hatin'

ya feel meh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts