Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Some trim (doors & windows) can be bid by unit pricing, or sq. ft. Same with base, crown, and chairrail, frames etc, but I usually see it as lin. ft.

I would suggest going to the PDCA website and check out buying their manual titled volume 1 'Professional Estimating Procedures' and volume 2 titled Rates & Tables.

Click HERE to find it.

They have some good methods of measuring trim in sq. ft. I don't think I can reprint it here, not sure its legal.

But check it out, kinda expensive, but worth the read.

This could be applied to your other question about the deck, this is covered too.

It will show you how to figure your own personal production rates, and from that be able to price out your cost per sq. ft.

Also check out THIS BOOK for good advise on pricing.

And another LINK for a book on estimating.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Swish, my bids are for wall and ceiling coverage.
Trim, windows, and doors are seperate.
I found it easiest to charge by the foot for trim, per window, and per door.
I know how to calculate the sqft of trim based on 3" 4" and 6", but it gets to be a pain in my arsh.

·
Systems Fanatic
415 Posts
I estimate walls and ceilings by the square foot. Base, crown, and similar moulding is by the linear foot. Doors, windows, etc. are counted.

I then add in for degree of difficulty. For example, a high entry with a 20' ceiling is going to be a lot slower going than an 8' or 10' ceiling. That gets factored in.

I have 6 different degrees of difficulty for interiors and 15 for exteriors. I have production rates for each in a data base. All I do is select the surface, the degree, enter the quantity, and select the product to use. Everything else is then computed.

Brian Phillips

·
Registered
106 Posts
Brain has it right Swish...
I highly recommend getting into automated bidding...
Currently I use Proventure Invoice & Estimate Software, but there are others programs on the market much better than what I'm using now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
no sales tax, at least in Michigan.

But I charge 1.50 per LnFt for trim.
Thats my set price for trim 4" and under..
Ive been in houses before that had 8" trim.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure if this bid is still active, but I do have a couple of questions. So your saying that the average trim 1x4 goes for 1.50 a linear foot? Ie- sand stain , one coat of poly/laquer per hung, then fill nail holes and one more coat of poly/laquer?

Also same senerio how much for a 4/6 panel interior door and case?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
29 Posts
How aobut these prices!

Complete doors/case= sand, stain, 2 coats poly sprayed= 125 dollars per door/case

1x4 base same application as doors/case= 5.25 dollars per linear foot

Any thoughts,
Peter

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm basing the doors at about 3 total man hours, materials $13-18 per door.
base at around 7 feet per hour total= setup, sanding two sides(top, front) staining and two top coats of poly. one gallon poly= 300-400 linear board feet per coat (depending on quality of wood)

How about the rest of you guys.

For natural finish alder I'm going to do a run with one coat sanding sealer, old masters and two coats H2O old masters sprayed with a 4 stage turbine sprayer.

I'm going to replicate this on a new custom Alder center island for my kitchen remodel.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts