Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to try and buy local if I can. I know I apreciate the buisness I get from people that could order from somewhere else. After makeing a bunch of gaskets lately I finaly decided to look into getting a gasket cutter.
So I went to three places I thought might have them on island.
Struck out at the first two and the third is a shop called "Best American Tools" I mention that becuase although they do have quality tools they are definatly not "Best American speakers" I asked him if he had gasket cutters. He asked me what size I wanted. I asked him what sizes he had. Turns out he only had one size (up to 36") I asked if I could see it. He seemed offended that I would make him show me something in the store. I took a look and it was what I was looking for. So I asked him how much.
Now I had never priced a gasket cutter before and I am used to his stuff being a bit dear but when he told me $800 I about asked him if he was smokeing crack or something! I could not belive anyone would buy one for that price. I told him it looked like I needed to do some shopping around.
I stopped by the office on my way to the job I am working on becuase I wanted to check if that was even in the ball park. I found one on Ebay slightly used same brand 36" capacity with 23min left in the auction. So I bought it for $51.50 plus $10.50 shipping and its exactly the one I remember using in the Navy. Metal box and all. I even checked McMaster and the one he had goes for about $225 from them. I guess he's just counting on the gopher whos company sends him out with a PO or credit card and says "find me a gasket cutter and dont come back without one!"

So I'm all happy for 3 reasons. I saved over $700:thumbsup:, In a week or so Ill have a tool I have wanted for years:clap: and most importantly I have just insured I wont need to cut another gasket for 6 months:thumbup:

Cheers Jim

·
Aussie in Norway
242 Posts
I am glad you found what your looking for. Here in Norway tools are at least 2 x the price they were in Australia. I order mine from the UK and even then, with freight and importduty I am still saving 50%. I just cut off the plug and change to the local plug. I test for the insulation value and then I'm good to go. I won't throw my money down the toilet, local or not. Considering the handyman quality tools cost the same in Norway as trade quality tools in Australia, I prefer to shop around a little.

samthedog.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've always paid top dollar and shopped local, but I've had enough, I don't get good product support or service from any local tool store I've shopped at so why am I paying a premium?

From now on unless I'm buying from Hilti, I'm buying online and shopping on price!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts