Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd read about some sort of wood filler that they have that is supposed to be better than others on the market.

its a 3M product, called "patch plus primer" lightweight spackling & primer in one.

Dissappointing results. (I am filling nail holes in MDF crown) it seems to be very dry, kept falling off. I mushed it in with my putty knife, but it looked "grainy".

I normally use Drydex. This particular project is my own basement so I wanted to experiment a little bit with different products, you never know if something will work better than what you are using now.

I won't use this stuff again. Looks like it's back to drydex for now.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That stuff is great on drywall. I have not used it for molding yet. I use crawfords for trim. It is also at SW. I find that since it is a puddy I use it just with fingers.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Lightweight spackling is great on drywall but terrible on trim, too porous to not be visible when finished. I have used the yellow elmers stuff forever until I found the Dap brand Crackshot filler, its much easier to sand and is white (sometimes not a good thing). I still use the elmers stuff outside since I know that it holds up for exterior.

·
Registered
749 Posts
SuperiorHIP said:
Lightweight spackling is great on drywall but terrible on trim, too porous to not be visible when finished. I have used the yellow elmers stuff forever until I found the Dap brand Crackshot filler, its much easier to sand and is white (sometimes not a good thing). I still use the elmers stuff outside since I know that it holds up for exterior.
Thumbsup for the crack shot. Crawfords is prob still the best for trim.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts