Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some Painting Tricks of the Trade you use?
I alway like to figure out new ways of doing things... :cheesygri

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hm Tricks, well I`m sure I use a lot of them while painting but not realy realliseing (sorry don`t know how to spell that. Germans.. :rolleyes: ) them. I use tape for exact lines, have used t-paper and toothpaste for filling holes bevor... that is long time ago though....

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I agree with Tania, I probably do them all day long and never think about it.

One that comes to mind is every time I use a fresh roller cover, I put it on the handle, hold the handle between my knees, and run a piece of tape over it back and forth across the whole surface of the cover. This will remove any loose hairs or fibers that will get stuck to the walls.

And every time I break out a new brush, I run it under water (for latex) or dip it in some thinner (for oil) and spin them back out. It keeps the paint from drying up in the heel .

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
When your painting with a brush, keep your wrists straight and inhale on the upstroke, then exhale on the downstroke, and keep the wrists straight.

Pat Morita taught me that one...

sincerely,

the Karate Kid

Reactions: Paint Dribblz

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ProWallGuy said:
And every time I break out a new brush, I run it under water (for latex) or dip it in some thinner (for oil) and spin them back out. It keeps the paint from drying up in the heel .
Speaking of brush maintenance... how many of you use the sleeves the brushes came in for storage?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I always use the sleeve they came in to keep their shape, but recently I have been digusted with the fact the brush companys did away with the string closure. Using velcro or buttons just plain suck. I can't string close it tight or loose, and the sleeve moves around on the brush, messing up the outer bristles. I saw in Jobsite magazine a company that makes permanent leather brush covers that I will be looking into.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tricks

Hi Just wondering when using oil paint whats the best way to store brushes an rollers for a few days until the next use? We lay ours flat in water, ive also heard of freezing them..

·
Registered
169 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I always use the sleeve they came in to keep their shape, but recently I have been digusted with the fact the brush companys did away with the string closure. Using velcro or buttons just plain suck. I can't string close it tight or loose, and the sleeve moves around on the brush, messing up the outer bristles. I saw in Jobsite magazine a company that makes permanent leather brush covers that I will be looking into.
ProWallGuy
Was that a recent issue? I didn't see it. Do you have a link they sound pretty kool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh, I have many. I'll put some thought into this, cause like others have said most of them have become such a routine part of my work day. I'll try and submit some more worthy ones to keep this thread active over the next few day's etc...

One that comes to mind right off the top is one of my pet peeves....Allways pour out paint from the back side of the label! If your using the same brand of paint...say Ben Moore Super spec...in both eggshell and Semi-gloss...then later go back to touch-up or repaint something and you look at each can and the front label is all covered in paint....."how do you know if it's the egg-shell or the semi-gloss?" Have you ever cut in a previously painted flat or egg-shell wall with Semi-gloss? 3 cut ins later with the flat or egg-shell just to cover the "flash" the semi- does cause you guessed at which label was which...or so and so...

-Martin :)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Punch holes around the rim of the can so the excess drips back into the can.

I wrap my wet brushes in the clear wrap that they use for bundling things at the lumber yard. It works like Saran Wrap and mother doesn't get pissed at me.

Roll out trim and then back brush. An old timer told me 90% of the labor is getting the paint from the can onto what you're painting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts