Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Installing a Trex Reveal metal HR using the crossover posts because I'm running a deck board as a cap rail.

Have any of you come up w/ a graceful solution for a mitered corner over a single post? They don't have a 90º bracket and the official answer so far is 'can't be done.'

Im going to try something tomorrow but just wanted to know if you guys had already faced this.

Thanks,

Mac

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can use pretty much any post type w/ the Reveal rail, however, they do have their own metal posts that match the color/finish exactly. Their crossover posts have brackets at the top that allow a continuous cap rail. I'm using that option to mount a deck board as the cap rail on top of the railing sections because the HO's want a wider cap.

Mac

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grind one tab off crossover bracket - miter top rails into each other

Install mitered top rail cap

Install deck board cap rail - face screwed 16" oc w/ composite deck screws (positioned so tip of screw dropped into a baluster and didn't poke out of the top rail)

Future builds like this would possibly incorporate the following change - metal cap for top rail to be glued and screwed to bottom of deck board, THEN snapped onto top rail. Might be difficult to line up mitered corners, some testing in the shop is in order.

The one thing we did change was switch the snap-on caps - the curved one went on the bottom rail, the completely flat one went on the top...made it easier to attach the deck board cap rail.

I'll get a few pics of the finished project up tomorrow. This is one I worked w/ Morgan, though to be honest, he built most of it.

Mac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts