Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Trex CEO, not exactly about decks or contracting

And you believe there might be something lacking in his abilities to run the company?

My thoughts ...
Reality way too many contractors have "almost" too much experience, hands on knowledge and pride-satisfaction in the end deliverables of their business'. And that does not allow them the proper views to really be successful as a business overall. Great contractors yes but not always so great business men.

Gonna beat the oconomowoc drum again here. The way a number of people around here reacted to many of his ideas and improvements to his business. Full head on push back to just a waste of time, to the few who saw merit in what he said. He is always thinking like an effective CEO rather than your typical skilled tradesman/contractor, in his area. He has a great amount of skill, experience and pride in his work but he understands that's not enough to be highly successful. In his case it's a small operation heading for maximum profitability. That takes deep inside information of how the services are performed, marketed ..... with an outside the comfort zone view piont. Which too many of us struggle with. It's contrary to what we do/who we are/what we've strive to be as tradesman who are contractors.

Piont is CEOs like this man don't need product/service knowledge. They need to build relationships with those that do. Those people have the answers and the CEO is the people/systems/efficiency whisperer that can help the group get out of their own way and go way beyond.

a bit of rambling - thought provoking anyway

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Not sure how I gave that impression, but no, not at all.
Dang I hate certain aspects of the internet. Title read CEO is more like >not< about decks or contracting ... to me. Inferring there is something lacking in his abilities...

I believe that's not how "you" would view an article like that. Meant as a verification, inquiry, (not inquisition of the Hispanic type either :blink:), curiosity as to if I'm missing something, question.

make it better or worse? :whistling

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trex CEO, not exactly about decks or contracting

And you believe there might be something lacking in his abilities to run the company?

My thoughts ...
Reality way too many contractors have "almost" too much experience, hands on knowledge and pride-satisfaction in the end deliverables of their business'. And that does not allow them the proper views to really be successful as a business overall. Great contractors yes but not always so great business men.

Gonna beat the oconomowoc drum again here. The way a number of people around here reacted to many of his ideas and improvements to his business. Full head on push back to just a waste of time, to the few who saw merit in what he said. He is always thinking like an effective CEO rather than your typical skilled tradesman/contractor, in his area. He has a great amount of skill, experience and pride in his work but he understands that's not enough to be highly successful. In his case it's a small operation heading for maximum profitability. That takes deep inside information of how the services are performed, marketed ..... with an outside the comfort zone view piont. Which too many of us struggle with. It's contrary to what we do/who we are/what we've strive to be as tradesman who are contractors.

Piont is CEOs like this man don't need product/service knowledge. They need to build relationships with those that do. Those people have the answers and the CEO is the people/systems/efficiency whisperer that can help the group get out of their own way and go way beyond.

a bit of rambling - thought provoking anyway
No worries - i just meant that the article wasn't about decks or contracting.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang I hate certain aspects of the internet. Title read CEO is more like >not< about decks or contracting ... to me. Inferring there is something lacking in his abilities...

I believe that's not how "you" would view an article like that. Meant as a verification, inquiry, (not inquisition of the Hispanic type either :blink:), curiosity as to if I'm missing something, question.

make it better or worse? :whistling
And I agree with you about the sorts of skills executives have. The Trex guy is just one in a series. Here are some of the others:
http://projects.nytimes.com/corner-office?8qa

·
Registered
Remodel
31,008 Posts
CEOs generally should be focused on the strategic side, but there has to be a set of tactics to support the strategy. Ideally, there's an interplay between developing strategies and developing new tactics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts