Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a lot of posts but I'm hoping somebody might find this a worthwhile challenge. I'm working on a breakfast/dining nook with built in benches and a table. The nook is three sided with the outside wall being a new group of windows scaled to the table and bench proportions. In the past I have used a single leg on the outside and attached the table to the wall on the other end.

The client wants to be able to move the table out and have it be freestanding to use in another room at times (this was not on the original plans). I'm concerned about having traditional table feet be a pain when sliding in and out of the booth.

The only idea I've come up with so far is to cut a turned leg, drill and pin it so the lower end (with foot) could be turned parallel to the table when secured in place. I have a background around boats and have seen a lot of creative stuff, but I'm stuck on this one . Anyone willing to brainstorm?

·
4,617 Posts
Have you considered a drop-leaf table design?

The drop leaf can go against the wall when used in the nook and be lifted up to make the table larger when pulled out. The end that is not shared with a wall can have just one leg. The drop leaf can be supported by two folding legs, that are in a permanent vertical position, and fold under the fixed top.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Have you considered a drop-leaf table design?

The drop leaf can go against the wall when used in the nook and be lifted up to make the table larger when pulled out. The end that is not shared with a wall can have just one leg. The drop leaf can be supported by two folding legs, that are in a permanent vertical position, and fold under the fixed top.
Or just a single "gate leg"
under the drop leaf?
I'm liking that. :thumbsup:

What I'm picturing here is
basically a three legged table
when in the nook (2 against
the wall, only one to contend
with seating)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

I sincerely appreciate your willingness to offer some help. There are a couple of good suggestions here and hopefully others will contribute. I'll certainly take pics and post when complete ( next 4-5 weeks), it's the least I can do to say thanks.

·
4,617 Posts
Bass's table would work great. Take one leg, cut it top to bottom and put a piano hinge on it so it can fold along the short axis of the table. Cut the table and put a piano hinge underneath and let the leaf drop. Push against the wall and Bobs a guy that lives next door!

:blink:

You can do it, we can help.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Zim Zam!
No legs in the way in the nook! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts