1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Did they at least use LedgerLoks to attach to the tree?:rolleyes:

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
no permit no tree house.you know the white house did no have a permit when it was first built take it down:thumbup:
The Brits did a pretty good job of code enforcement then!

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has it been tested by the Santa Anna's yet??? if not then by all means please send an address and i'll bring the popcorn:thumbsup:
That's a great point. It's not uncommon to get 80 mile and hour straight line winds out here. Then of course there's seismic.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I had a tree house as a kid. I survived.

Well, less a house and more a pallet stuck in a tree

Hey, at least I remembered to put two nails in most of the sticks I nailed to the tree as a ladder. I think.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The Washington DC builder/jackass who built it for them knew perfectly well that it wasn't legal when he built it. And I'd have some sympathy for the owner, but I'd bet a dollar that she got turned down by at least 5 local builders who told her exactly that.

A neighbor of ours built a small treehouse in their front yard, and made the mistake of asking me what I thought of it. Not liking them very much, I gave them my opinion. So for about a week, it seemed like they'd keep an eye out for me, and if I was out in front they'd all run outside and have a giant crap-load of fun with their tree-house. Then one day a litigator who lives on the street told them what he thought about it, and they had it taken down the next day.

That news story ends with some happy bit about the county working with her; what's going to happen is that they'll say, "We have no problem with you having a tree house. It's a wonderful tribute to your husband. It only needs to comply with our planning and building codes - here's a copy, we look forward to reviewing the plans."

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I had a tree house as a kid. I survived.

Well, less a house and more a pallet stuck in a tree

Hey, at least I remembered to put two nails in most of the sticks I nailed to the tree as a ladder. I think.
We had tree houses, forts, and some underground mine/cave things that in retrospect were definitely the most dangerous of all.

·
GC/carpenter
40,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Washington DC builder/jackass who built it for them knew perfectly well that it wasn't legal when he built it. And I'd have some sympathy for the owner, but I'd bet a dollar that she got turned down by at least 5 local builders who told her exactly that.

A neighbor of ours built a small treehouse in their front yard, and made the mistake of asking me what I thought of it. Not liking them very much, I gave them my opinion. So for about a week, it seemed like they'd keep an eye out for me, and if I was out in front they'd all run outside and have a giant crap-load of fun with their tree-house. Then one day a litigator who lives on the street told them what he thought about it, and they had it taken down the next day.

That news story ends with some happy bit about the county working with her; what's going to happen is that they'll say, "We have no problem with you having a tree house. It's a wonderful tribute to your husband. It only needs to comply with our planning and building codes - here's a copy, we look forward to reviewing the plans."
I wouldn't of gotten out of bed to build that for 16k, let alone send a crew from DC.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Don't bugs live in trees. How do you stop the place from being bug free when the tree house is made out of wood and the bugs are in the tree to eat the wood?

Wouldn't want my bed in there
Steve, perhaps you should take a look at pressure-treated lumber - you might find it useful for your deck business, too. You're welcome, I'm always glad to help a fellow tradesman.

·
Deck Parts Retailer
3,108 Posts
Steve, perhaps you should take a look at pressure-treated lumber - you might find it useful for your deck business, too. You're welcome, I'm always glad to help a fellow tradesman.
Really!!!!

I am talking about the bugs crawling around inside the house, hanging out in your pillows, your bed, so on. You can't possibly think treated lumber will become a magic zone that bugs won't cross to live in your clothing, furniture and so on. Do ya

1 - 20 of 37 Posts