Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this happened yesterday right in front of a home we did a lot of work on last year. Two guys working at tree trimming and feeding brush into a chipper, one guy goes across the street, comes back and can't find his partner anywhere. Looks all over, then finally looks in the back of the truck where the chips were blown. Found him. At least it was quick.

Just a reminder what can happen when you take safety for granted.

http://www.timesuniononline.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=224&ArticleID=42405

·
Grand Rapids Remodeling
3,115 Posts
O God that is one of my nightmare's. Those damn things scare the living hell out of me.

I talked to a couple of tree trimmers awhile back while they were working and they said those kind of deaths would be avoided if the company would spring for a chipper that had a self feeder. But I'm not a tree trimmer so I really don't know.

I kid you not, my gut is in a knot right now thinking about dying like that...

www.phbconstruction.com

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
[

I talked to a couple of tree trimmers awhile back while they were working and they said those kind of deaths would be avoided if the company would spring for a chipper that had a self feeder. But I'm not a tree trimmer so I really don't know.

QUOTE]

I used to be for many years before the invention of the self feeding chippers and would have to believe that the use of them would prevent any deaths. They make use wear seatbelts,I don't get it.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
ya i heard something weird like the sawstop senses your static electricity somehow to stop. it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Tree Chipper = Paper Shredder + Meat Blender + Trash Compactor + Leaf Blower (All-In-One design) :whistling

First it shreds in whatever, then rotating mix, then compacts in box, and finally blow out its by-products in narrow chute!! ...(Ummm.. Yucks.. I can see its working image clearly by now... and I'm afraid there is no more POSTIVE IDENTIFICATION FLESHING REMAINS ..for dat MAFIA boss !!... :shutup::eek:)

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
The "self feeder" in the vid goes at 2'/sec. and the chipper had no safety stop!!!! Holy lawsuit batman.

What gets me is the last statement to make sure the chipper has a saftey. What if their isn't quit and go to the unemployment office?

Where's OSHA when you need them. :rolleyes:
For real we get whacked for stupid chit that isnt anywhere near as dangerous as a chipper. I see these guys all over the place and never hear anyone saying they got a special visit from the OSHA man.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
That had to look nasty in the back of that truck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts