Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be removing this tree for the church, down to the dirt. Someone else will be doing the stump and root removal. If anyone has suggestions on specific equipment I should consider renting or buying for the job, I would like to hear them. I may never need the tools again so top-of-the-line may not be necessary. My inclination is to use a sawzall (because I already have one of them) to trim away the smaller branches, but what to use for the trunk? Also, Because the tree is not tall enough to land on any structures, would you fell it first, then trim it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Just ask if you have any flooring inquiries.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I will be removing this tree for the church, down to the dirt. Someone else will be doing the stump and root removal. If anyone has suggestions on specific equipment I should consider renting or buying for the job, I would like to hear them. I may never need the tools again so top-of-the-line may not be necessary. My inclination is to use a sawzall (because I already have one of them) to trim away the smaller branches, but what to use for the trunk? Also, Because the tree is not tall enough to land on any structures, would you fell it first, then trim it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Just ask if you have any flooring inquiries.

:thumbsup:
Looks more like a tall bush.

Fell it, trim out.

·
Registered
293 Posts
make your cut high so that it doesnt take out the bench... Make sure you have it tied off and have someone pulling in the fall direction so that it doesnt bust any of those bench bricks... or you paying to replace them :thumbsup:
once that is done... take off the 5 ft section and carry it off..

dont take my advice, ask a tree pro... thats just what I would do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's what chainsaws are made for, only a few seconds with a sharp one. I guess a sawzall would work though, alot more work than necessary.

Yes, notch it high so when it falls the branches will end up holding the whole deal in the air on it's side so you can delimb it.

Why are they taking it out? Looks like a cool little tree.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
break out your swiss army knife, use the serrated blade, and the scissors to cut off the branches.
I wish. Unfortunately, I wrecked the scissors cutting sheets of plywood and the little saw in my knife broke when I tried ripping a 2x12.

:rolleyes: Meh... probably wasn't even 'Swiss'.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
make your cut high so that it doesnt take out the bench... Make sure you have it tied off and have someone pulling in the fall direction so that it doesnt bust any of those bench bricks... or you paying to replace them :thumbsup:....
Good advice. I do not want to spend the following weekend making a new bench. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's what chainsaws are made for, only a few seconds with a sharp one....
If you can give me your opinion on these tools that I bought, I would be grateful.

I figured I might need this 10" pole saw to reach the highest limbs, but I suppose I wouldnt need it if the tree gets cut down first:

This 14" gas-powered (below) looks like it will do the bulk of the work just fine. I know it is not what a pro would use, but I am fairly certain this is the only tree I will ever be cutting down. Hopefully I can get by with it:

Yes, notch it high so when it falls the branches will end up holding the whole deal in the air on it's side so you can delimb it.
excellent :thumbsup:

Why are they taking it out? Looks like a cool little tree.
The roots have begun to make the surrounding brickwork a liability. My guess is someone took a spill and that was the beginning of the end for this tree. I am with you- the tree is really cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trim off some of the lower limbs. Make sure you notch it properly, (google away), and you should be able to place withing 15 degrees of where you want it. But have some rope just in case....
I found some good advice via Google regarding how to cut it so it falls where I want it to. For that matter, there was a fair amount of instruction on how NOT to cut it. Thanks for your response, Chris. :thumbsup:

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
A small chainsaw will get it done in short order. A sawzall will also get it done, but it will take a bit longer. knock it down, remove the branches, chunk up the trunk. Take a shovel and clear the dirt away from the roots. Use an ax or the sawzall to cut the roots below ground level and remove what's left of the trunk. If it wasn't surrounded by the bricks, I'd say to hook onto the trunk with your truck and give it a tug to break loose the last couple roots, but without power, you are going to have to dig deep and cut everything in order to get rid of everything above ground level.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
If you fell it first then delimb, be very careful and know which way that it will roll when you go to cut a limb. Have a clear escape path in case it does not roll the way you expect while delimbing. Also, pay attention to where you start your cut when the tree is down and being held up by the limbs to avoid getting the saw wedged in the cut.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you fell it first then delimb, be very careful and know which way that it will roll when you go to cut a limb. Have a clear escape path in case it does not roll the way you expect while delimbing. Also, pay attention to where you start your cut when the tree is down and being held up by the limbs to avoid getting the saw wedged in the cut.
Thanks for the advice, boman. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts