Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a customers farm today(he owns a nursery)
He was grafting apple trees(putting an apple tree top section on a dwarf tree lower section)
The stocks are 3/8 thick and he is cutting a v groove about 2 inches deep on one. Then a point on the other.
They slide together so everything is flush(bark covering everything)
Then he tapes everything together.
He was making the cuts on a radial arm saw with a homade jig.
This all looked to be very dangerous, and slow he had to adjust cuts
So I asked If there was a machine that did this?
He showed me a few diffrent tools that made diffrent cuts.
He did not like any of the machines.
So he asked me if i had any ideas how to quickly and easily
cut joints on the end of the root stocks and slide them togther.
he wanted some sort of tounge and groove wether it was square or angled he did not care as long as it fit well, and he could tape them together easily.
I hope this makes sense.
Any great ideas out there, Or does something already exist
This does not seem that complicated, But I have not come up with anything good

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I would say a roto-zip may work well if he takes his time. Making those cuts wouldnt be easy since his work area is rounded and and not very uniform in shape. There are guys around here who do this but i have no clue how they do it. Some of these guys i do know like to twist sapplings amongst themselves or with other tree's to create some odd looking growth. This takes years to do, often generations. The twisting may work of they peel some of the bark off and tie them together, i am sure they would need to use either some tape or some kind of resin to cover the "wound". An older fella back when i was a kid carved a 20' wooden chain out of cherry and i beleive apple. It was absolutley beutiful to look at and to handle. The wood was very dark and then gradually went to a lighter color and back to dark. All the links were perfect in shape, were all hand sanded and had some sort of finish on them. How long it took him i dont know but i remember he said the apple was about impossible to carve and it gave him many scars. The old man died about 30yrs ago but his family still has his carvings, they wont even allow anyone to see them anymore for fear of theft. I have mentioned to them about contacting the local museum to see if they would be interested in displaying this guys work, i am sure the museum would take in a peice like this since it was carved by hand by one of the last ole timers from this area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts