Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit it..... I'm just a dumb electrician. But I'm cutting down a tree for a good friend only because things are slow and I have a chainsaw.

I'm at a loss as to what to charge.

Tree is two minor trunks about 12" diameter each, which had split off from the rest of the tree and were leaning at a 30° angle on another tree. All this person wants is to bring it on down so it doesn't fall on someone, cut it up and place it all by the alley for anyone who wants firewood.

No overhead utilities or structures to worry about. Just curious as to what a fair price would be.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
TREE - fiddy is probably what most folks on here would charge, give or take.

I just had 2 huge willow trees completely taken apart and it cost 1500 dollars. That being said I have a couple chainsaws and I wouldn't have done it for that little.

·
Insert title
4,692 Posts
I've hired 3 different companies to clear trees from my property in the past and it ranged from $300-$800 per tree if my memory is correct.

A couple things to clear up before you start;

1. What is happening to all of the useless limb wood and leaves?

2. Who is cleaning up the yard?

3. The stump, does he expect you to grind it or cut it as low to the ground as you can?

4. If you do have to grind it, who is cleaning up that mess and will the pit be filled with soil?

5. What happens when the neighbors complain about the pile of wood in the alley that is attracting bugs?

I ask these questions because I have learned these lessons the hard way. The first numb nuts I hired to remove trees at my house left me with 16' lengths of tree trunks and stumps. The second crew I hired took care of my stumps but back filled my holes with the mulch from my stumps. By the time I hired the third company I knew exactly what I wanted done for my money.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. What is happening to all of the useless limb wood and leaves?
Picked up next garbage day as yard waste.

2. Who is cleaning up the yard?
Me

3. The stump, does he expect you to grind it or cut it as low to the ground as you can?
Stump will remain.

4. If you do have to grind it, who is cleaning up that mess and will the pit be filled with soil?
NA

5. What happens when the neighbors complain about the pile of wood in the alley that is attracting bugs?
It won't last long there.

·
Banned
42 Posts
OK, I'll admit it..... I'm just a dumb electrician. But I'm cutting down a tree for a good friend only because things are slow and I have a chainsaw.

I'm at a loss as to what to charge.

Tree is two minor trunks about 12" diameter each, which had split off from the rest of the tree and were leaning at a 30° angle on another tree. All this person wants is to bring it on down so it doesn't fall on someone, cut it up and place it all by the alley for anyone who wants firewood.

No overhead utilities or structures to worry about. Just curious as to what a fair price would be.
What you are describing here is easy enough for an arborist, but a little bit trickier for someone who is not trained to fell trees.

If the trunk of the tree is split into 2 12" DBH trunks there are enormous stresses in the tree. Simply notching and felling the tree won't do. If you do that the tree could easily kick back as the stresses are being released and strike you dead.

To drop the tree safely you're going to need to top it and remove it in sections from the top down.

This is going to require climbing gear and a helper to belay you.

You'll want to remove the tree in roughly six foot sections. You'll need to rig the piece being removed onto a belay device so a second person on the ground can control it.

You'll want to remove from both splits of the tree evenly. If you completely cut one side you'll overload the root system and the tree could fall, with you tied to it.

Once you have the tree topped to within 8 feet of the ground then you can cut at the split.

Like I said, this is a $3,000 to $4,000 job due to the requirement of a crew and specialized climbing gear.

Depending on species a tree with a 12" DBH could be over 75 feet tall.

More information and pictures would help w/ an accurate bid.

For example if the tree is rotted out or diseased it's too weak to safely climb/belay. This would necessitate a manlift and a crane.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What you are describing here is easy enough for an arborist, but a little bit trickier for someone who is not trained to fell trees.

If the trunk of the tree is split into 2 12" DBH trunks there are enormous stresses in the tree. Simply notching and felling the tree won't do. If you do that the tree could easily kick back as the stresses are being released and strike you dead.

To drop the tree safely you're going to need to top it and remove it in sections from the top down.

This is going to require climbing gear and a helper to belay you.

You'll want to remove the tree in roughly six foot sections. You'll need to rig the piece being removed onto a belay device so a second person on the ground can control it.

You'll want to remove from both splits of the tree evenly. If you completely cut one side you'll overload the root system and the tree could fall, with you tied to it.

Once you have the tree topped to within 8 feet of the ground then you can cut at the split.

Like I said, this is a $3,000 to $4,000 job due to the requirement of a crew and specialized climbing gear.

Depending on species a tree with a 12" DBH could be over 75 feet tall.

More information and pictures would help w/ an accurate bid.

For example if the tree is rotted out or diseased it's too weak to safely climb/elay. This would necessitate a manlift and a crane.

I hate to tell you this, but I already have it all on the ground and 75% cut up. I just got rained out this morning and will go back tomorrow to finish it off.

There's no bidding here. She just wants it down. All I'm looking for is a reasonable price.

So 860+ posts still don't cut it?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
I charge $100 per trunk just to put it on the ground, clean up is extra. If the tree requires climbing, pulling with a rope/cable and has obstructions around then the price goes up accordingly. Obviously the risk involved and the extra man-power also inflates the price.
For future knowledge check you local wood mills to see what wood prices are doing, for me it is worthwhile to cut up the logs in desired length and haul them to the mill. You can net an extra couple hundred bucks per load doing this. With you hardwoods you can take the time to cut it up and split it for re-sale. Most guys here are getting $100 per face cord right now. For me what i dont take to the mill goes through my wood boiler's to heat my homes.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
I would have liked to have seen a picture to offer a an estimate. If I am able to handle it all from the ground, no equipment other than saws, no top down cutting and no structures or vegetation at risk, I usually charge $100-$150 for dropping. Cut & stack $65 hr/2 hr. min. Minimum waived and discount on dropping for regular customers.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,804 Posts
OK, I'll admit it..... I'm just a dumb electrician.
Phew! Glad we got that out of the way.

Now... First we need to see proof that you've served a five year arborist apprenticeship and have at least a Journeyman license. Otherwise, you are clearly not qualified for the job and should hire a professional.

:jester:

For a neighbor, $300. For a friend who happens to be a neighbor, $200 and some lie-swapping over a couple of beers.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I think Tin's pricing was good. Here pro firms charge $500 just to drop and tree on the ground and pick up payment. I have a friend who needs one dropped and we'll have to cable it together first, so it doesn't split and hit his house. I'm not sure he has the guts to do it. It's a hackberry and has a lot of rot at the base. The plan is to cable it up high and pull with a tractor. I told him it would either go well or we'd get to see a tractor flying in reverse as it landed on his house.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Now... First we need to see proof that you've served a five year arborist apprenticeship and have at least a Journeyman license. Otherwise, you are clearly not qualified for the job and should hire a professional.
:laughing:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Damn....im starting to feel like I screwed my neighbor....

Felled a tree in his front yard for 2,000 even about a month ago. We took the stump out and backfilled. also disposed of the whole tree. It was approx 60-75ft and we had to worry about power lines, neighbors houses, street, etc... Had to take it off in sections.

the only thing I'd take down for a few hundred dollars is some bushes.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If one is properly insured, what would the price be? It's not what I have to worry about, it's about how I'm going to compensate if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would have charged 100.00 for dropping & cutting & 30.00 for a new chain.

Some of these guys are Waaaaaaayyyyy out there on pricing you guys had best stay where your at because you wont get anyone around here to pay 2k to3k to drop a single tree w/o obstructions, your out of your minds.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts