Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Treated lumber and membrane roofs?

4820 6
Is it really necessary to use pressure treated lumber (vs. untreated) for build-up around the perimeter of the roof when adding insulating board under a membrane roof? I see architects always spec it out on commercial jobs, but Ive never known why. It should never get wet and to seems to me like an unnecessary additional expense. Besides, at least in ths area the treated lumber you purchase is pretty poor quality. Any thoughts?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
We use Spf not treated. Did one Saturday fixing a leaking torch down. Even on the schools I've done they never had treated.
Reactions: 232323
On commercial jobs Its common here to use treated lumber as nailers on parapet walls, though I've never quite understood why either.
Reactions: 232323
same reason for numerous other things in specs. Because the arch doesn't know anything about the process. He just cuts and pastes from a boilerplate spec. Run into it all the time.
The NRCA used to specify the use of treated wood. In 2004 the chemical used to treat wood was changed, and is more corrosive to fasteners. Now NRCA says non-treated wood is acceptable. CRCA says in most cases wood treated with preservatives is unnecessary.
http://www.nrca.net/roofing/-Special-Report-Use-of-treated-wood-in-roof-assemblies-February-2005-260
Reactions: thesidingpro
Sounds like you need to school the architect or build it with non pt. They drive me batty with there archaic practices.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.