Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been using copper, but yeah it's expensive. Something like $90 for 20 feet.

I've heard of guys just using strips of roof felt, or ice & water.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Shellbuilder said:
I rip the ledger down 3/4" narrower than joists, cover with tape and install ledger flashing over tape. No deck boards sit on top of my ledger flashing.. Flashing has a 10 degree slope on it.
That's a great idea.

·
I like Green things
23,069 Posts
I rip the ledger down 3/4" narrower than joists, cover with tape and install ledger flashing over tape. No deck boards sit on top of my ledger flashing.. Flashing has a 10 degree slope on it.
That way will just force the water into the end grain of the joists though.

I don't have an issue with the deck boards sitting on the flashing, I just don't put any screws through the flashing.

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
My deck ledger flashing detail. I prefer to keep the water from entering the area to begin with. There is Vycor between the deck plank and the ledger that runs up the wall 6". I'm not very good with SU, you'll get the idea.

Trex deck with the flashing installed. If it were a treated plank, I would install a Vycor barrier on the aluminum.

Tom

Attachments

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
I don't even worry about it using mcq it hardly matters.

In fact I never did get acq to eat any of the fasteners, regular glav joist hangers, alum flashing and even a couple of rusty sinker nails to do anything but lay there in my test out back of the shop.

Copper is Way over kill.

JonMon

Darcy you little school girl you

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
That way will just force the water into the end grain of the joists though.

I don't have an issue with the deck boards sitting on the flashing, I just don't put any screws through the flashing.
Flashing and a deck board sitting in dirt, leaves and other isn't much better. Im in a saltwater environment so flashings fail faster when they stay wet with Atlantic and Chesapeake water mixed with Live Oak leaves and people dirt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lol. They make a double flashing.

Depends on the job, and how much is in the customers budget. If you're using copper then go with the double flashing. (I haven't used it yet though. :)

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I keep the joists 1/8" above the ledger. Vycor behind the ledger and running a couple inches above it. Plastic ledger flashing. Another layer of Vycor starting about 5" above the ledger and bring it down over the ledger and the joists then cut on either side of the joists and bring the flap down tight on the ledger.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
Here's a retrofit I did today at this job I'm working on.

I stumbled over the fact flashing was originally omitted ten years ago when the deck was built and recommended to the customer we do something about it.

I just isolated aluminum and reglet cut the stucco since it's covered with an elastomeric. I/W along the top and 30lb felt to isolate the PT deck boards.

Actually the ledger wasn't in bad shape,...I was more concerned with water creeping behind it where the stucco wasn't treated and festering on the rim.

Attachments

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
exactly as tom shows. we do the exact same thing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts