Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who thinks this is a waste? I have a set of plans with a roof covered porch calling for treated ceiling joists and beams.

These architects are getting lazyier too. PDF details with conflicting info all over the place. Then I have a 3 1/2" x 11 7/8" treat lam beam for a 8ft
porch shed roof? Really? no second floor and half of that porch rafter is on the existing. Maybe Im just cranky because its 34 ft and about 12lbs per ft.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Seems a bit much considering I see those built with single 2x4 "beams" all the time around here. One house I looked at had a single 20 foot spanning "beam" laid flat and it survived through a heavy snowfall winter. It bent a bit. :laughing:

You should be more than fine. :laughing:

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, I am banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what you are describing.

Is this beam 34' long or 8' long?

34' long with posts at 8'?

Andy.
The porch is 6-6 deep. Perpendicular to the house. So the rafter was a generous 8'. Yes the beam runs parallel the length of the house and rests on 5 columns

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know they used to have to think more when you draw something. CAD takes away from thought . I have here a Page of details where clearly the guy copied PDFs of previous work. Which I can understand but ledger bolts are being specified differently on the same Page in different areas. Same with footings.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about flashing a ledger bolted through a brick veneer to the rim joist. What's the point? The veneer weeps to the bottom flashing.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,213 Posts
If your joists are going to get wet you have bigger problems then what material the joists are made from. This Archy has a degree and is suppose to be the expert in this? Unbelievable!

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I have no problem with treated porch beams. I've seen way too many decks supported by mush because the beam wraps trap moisture due to faulty installation. Cheap insurance in my book.

·
Registered
13,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no problem with treated porch beams. I've seen way too many decks supported by mush because the beam wraps trap moisture due to faulty installation. Cheap insurance in my book.
I could be okay with the beam being treated it was the size that irrated me and that he called for treated ceiling joist.... Just not needed over the top stuff.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I don't I have ever built anything that was supplied from an arch I didn't know. I always modify to be win win. If the inspector questions I show them what I was dealing with and it's 50/50 if the plans have to get amended. we spec our own build and then verified with an archi / engineer combo. It makes me scratch my head with how they over complicate builds anymore. They you bid as planned and your too high. Chuck in truck comes along and looses his azz walks off 1/2 way through I get call back year later.... I guess I'm a lil cranky right about now.
what the ledger, roof etc? are you painting or leaving the pt? is this low budget low frills or banging like attached. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I'll put up gold joists if the architect wants. I'm not paying for it. Harry HO might have a problem with it though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts