Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This job is pop top adding a master suite, master bath, walk-in cl. Approx $150 per sq foot project. The The master bedroom ceiling was supposed to have a tray ceiling. Trusses were ordered incorrectly. 2' off center to the master bedroom. Pretty much making the tray unusable since it doesn't line up with the bed, the window above the bed, the room itself.
The trusses were delivered, lifted by a crane, installed, roof sheathing put over it and 30# felt on the roof sheathing. This error wasn't noticed until all that was done.

This is going to cost big time. Homeowner doesn't want to have a flat 8" ceiling. Especially since spending $100k on the project. How should this be handled? Eat the cost to rip off roof & rebuild or...try and talk them into a flat ceiling.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Doesn't matter when the error was realized, if the customer signed a contract to purchase a tray ceiling then one should be delivered. People get angry when someone tries to talk them into something they don't want. Time to break out the cats-paw and the sawzall.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,242 Posts
You need the truss engineer to ok some design to cut the truss & install the ceiling w/conventional framing. Only a fool would rip off the entire roof that's all ready done. Not calling you one, just saying.

Gotta luv some of these first post.

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
If you’re truly a contractor post some pics, oh and fill out your profile:thumbsup:
When I first started construction I worked for a company fixing mistakes from cheep framing subs.
I have fixed many offset tray ceilings. If your offset is 2” off, pack out the other side 1”. You may need a soffit around the perimeter to hide the height difference

·
David Festa
2,561 Posts
No coffee, my eyes are getting worse and its raining and I forbid it to
I missed the 2’ looked like 2” Sounds like a dome ceiling fix. Have fun with that one

·
Registered
523 Posts
If it is your mistake than ask your truss supplier to engineer the fix, if they have been around for a long time than they will have a portable clamp to install the gusset plates.
If it is the truss companies mistake than get their designer out to the site and get them to fix it!
We have done alot of truss repairs in the past, some times the are damaged when dropped off the truck. Around here they slide them off of a truck or trailer purpose built for hauling trusses.
If the driver isn't carefull and a web slams a chunk of hard dirt or rock the truss can be damaged.
The repairs we have done usually end up costing as much as the truss was worth but the job can continue.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have the engineer make up a truss repair and get it signed off on. Then get on it. Not the owners issue. As a contractor the trusses should have been checked by the framer prior to install. Now it's on you to get it done. Not picking on you but this is where the wheels come off. Just get the truss repair from the engineer and move it forward.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Responsibility on a construction job is spelled.... "GC".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts