Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need to drive to pick up some Trex for a small job. Nothing available locally till mid November in foggy warf.
There is a lumber yard about 1.5hrs north of me that has stock so I’m making a road trip on Friday to get it.
My question is should I try and carry it on my headache rack back to a hitch mount ladder rack or borrow a trailer?

I need 14 12’ and 4 16’NG
Thoughts

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
What's their delivery range?

The yard I use charges $20 flat rate no matter where in the state they go. Setting that up on a Wed for Friday might be tough though

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
If you can't get delivery, I'd go with a trailer. That's a decent amount of weight to not have on a dedicated rack

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's their delivery range?

The yard I use charges $20 flat rate no matter where in the state they go. Setting that up on a Wed for Friday might be tough though

I’m in the delivery range however they will not accept credit card over the phone. I’ve purchased from them before but a much larger quantity

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
There are still places that won't take a card over the phone? What about COD?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Between the weight and the noodley property of trex, I'd buy a trailer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,534 Posts
Never liked carrying much of a load on a lumber rack, I'd trailer that load.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So now the decision is do I take the gooseneck dump trailer that weighs 4100lbs or rent a uhaul tandem axle that weighs 2300lbs for $45

Benefit of taking my trailer is I can leave the decking on it for the weekend vs unloading it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys,

I need to drive to pick up some Trex for a small job. Nothing available locally till mid November in foggy warf.
There is a lumber yard about 1.5hrs north of me that has stock so I’m making a road trip on Friday to get it.
My question is should I try and carry it on my headache rack back to a hitch mount ladder rack or borrow a trailer?

Thoughts
I feel trailer is mostly recommended here.

·
GC/carpenter
44,240 Posts
That load weighs exactly 400 lbs.

Enhance weighs 2 lbs a foot and Transcends weighs 2.5lbs per foot.

I can get 2000lbs on my full racks. I don't like to carry more than 1500 though.

Mike.
___

·
GC/carpenter
44,240 Posts
Also do not tie more than three wide. They will not hold. You can do three wide on each side of your racks if you choose to haul yourself.

Mike.
___

·
Registered
12,982 Posts
Man, I love my supply house. If they were empty, they would probably drop it for free. Or 15 bucks. Even the big yards are only 50 anywhere in the valley.

I love small town living.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Considering that saves you 3 hours round trip with a trailer, that's a deal

Glad it worked out for you

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
That would fit inside my van and the doors would close. I just got a few 18’ pieces of Azek this morning and they even fit

Delivery is much better though

·
Radical Basement Dweller
30,168 Posts
That would fit inside my van and the doors would close. I just got a few 18’ pieces of Azek this morning and they even fit

Do you rent it out on weekends for weddings?

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Guys,

Thoughts
I'd buy a three or four 2x6x16s to support the Trex on your rack and just price it into the job.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts

In a promaster? Or am I thinking of someone else?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts