Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, just got a where weird one. My client is ordering glass for a shower build and the manufacturer specifically recommends not using urethane grout in conjunction with translucent glass in a wet area. Opaque glass is fine.

Someone wanna splain it to me Lucy cause that maka no sense to me.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
What setting material + thinset do they recommend?

There was a manufacturer that wanted epoxy thinset +grout years ago.

Maybe the manufacturer hasn't kept up with the times?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Oceanside doesn't recommend it because water getting trapped behind the tile and not able to escape due to the waterproof nature of urethane, will alter the look of the transparent/translucent tiles.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oceanside doesn't recommend it because water getting trapped behind the tile and not able to escape due to the waterproof nature of urethane, will alter the look of the transparent/translucent tiles.
So in order to use translucent glass I'm forced into cement grout (that they want you to use their $60 sealer). Interesting.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm familiar with their recommendations....

I'm trying to make sense of it. If the grout is water proof and glass doesn't absorb water - how's the water going to get behind it in the first place? I mean we're talking about 1x1 glass here.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So your opinion?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Translucent tiles can "ghost" if water gets under them. Ghosting is when the thinset gets wet and shows a cloudy or wet spot which can be seen through/behind the tile.

If the water can't drain or evaporate, it will always show.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Oceanside has probably seen enough failed jobs due to sloppy grouting that it won't recommend the newer grouts. But if you carefully pack the joints, I see no reason urethane can't be used.

I use Fusion Pro for grouting. It can be used over mudbed without a sealer according to Customs spec sheet. But, I usually use a some type of membrane anyway.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
The only reason I can think of to not use urethane might be stickiness.Glass thinsets are highly modified. With Laticrete grout, you add the latex. You can adjust the stickiness by adding +/-.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
I can't imagine why they specify not using urethane. It has the same porosity as epoxy. So if olzo's theory (which sounds good to me) is correct, they should also not recommend epoxy too.

I think it's simply grout racism. Call Sharpton.

·
If my PO asks,I set tile
688 Posts
Thats grout profiling and profiling is wrong.;)

Reactions: angus242

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I can't imagine why they specify not using urethane. It has the same porosity as epoxy. So if olzo's theory (which sounds good to me) is correct, they should also not recommend epoxy too.

I think it's simply grout racism. Call Sharpton.
They don't even have epoxy listed as an option.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So they don't want any illegal grouts?

I think a call to tech support is inorder.
Yep. The only approved grouts for translucent glass in a wet area are cement based. Ludicrous.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Tech support can't give you a reason? That sucks.

The worst tech support I've encountered was Mapei. Got 3 different answers from the same guy about how long to wait before turning on floor warming. Grrr.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts