Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work has been slow, so I am taking anything I can get these days. Today I am finishing a chickenwire garden fence for a customer. I don't mind, but it isn't exactly what I do. :laughing: Since I've been slow, I am working any day I can. It has led to some new work that is what I do. :clap:

We are moving soon and getting the new place habitable, fixing the old place, scrambling for work, working, selling off stuff, packing, now we need to clear out the warehouse we've had access to, so I have that added to our plate, etc. Pretty much not a moment that we shouldn't be doing something. Needless to say, I'm a bit burned out. However, I really don't know any other way to work.

If I take a day off to just chill and recover, I stress over what isn't getting done, or could be done. I also stress because it might be a Sunday and I finally have a nice day that I could jump on a roof repair and it will rain on Monday, though most folks take Sunday off.

I realize that when work is slow, you do what you gotta do, but then it gets busy and I get in the trap of now I'm busy and need to get all the work done, so I keep going 7 days a week.

How did you all transition to a 5 day work week, or did you, or are you working 7 days a week. The worst part is I'm actually a pretty lazy guy, if I had time to stop and think about it. :laughing:

Well, I'm off to tamp posts.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,294 Posts
Working seven days a week just isn't practical long-term. Without a break now and then to recharge the batteries, your efficiency goes down and you aren't really giving your clients their money's worth.

Balance your guilt about not working with the failure to spend quality time with family. :thumbsup:

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I had a kid. My wife works weekends and I'm not paying for a stranger to spend time with my kid every day of the week. If I couldn't make time for kids I wouldn't have 'em.

It was a little difficult at first but that was mainly because I always thought of what I could get done in a week with about 60 hours in mind. Now it's really 40 hours of actual construction. I still work around 55 but that's sales and office included. I will occasionally meet a customer for a contract or walkthrough on a weekend or late on a weekday but that's it.

Customers have no idea how long projects are going to take so it's more about managing expectations than killing yourself. I've also become better about charging appropriately because I tend to look at my year end profit/salary and that was a false economy when I was working almost twice as many hours a year as the 9-5 crowd. If you can make $40k a year as a carpenter and you're making $80k as a business owner but working twice as many hours then you're just spinning in circles. There are other perks, I know, but we need to be honest with ourselves.

·
Hack
3,013 Posts
Don't stress about the "what if's"...like you mentioned about the roof that could be done.
At the end of the week just make sure you've taken care of everything you can, and make sure you make a note of where you left off; so that you can get right back to it a day or two later. I know it sounds straight forward...but I know where you're coming from. It's hard to gear down after working 7 days, 15 days, 37 days...etc.
But make the time, and stop trying to get so much work done with your time.

·
Super Moderator
29,211 Posts
Working seven days a week just isn't practical long-term. Without a break now and then to recharge the batteries, your efficiency goes down and you aren't really giving your clients their money's worth.

Balance your guilt about not working with the failure to spend quality time with family. :thumbsup:
I agree if you working hands on all day. 7 days a week will kill you within a few months.

I work atleast 6 hours every Saturday and 4 hours every Sunday right now doing bids, schedules, whatever. To make sure I spend plenty of time with my daughter, I start PW at 515 M-F, and go back to it when she is in bed at night if need be. Im home by 7 every evening to have dinner with her and my wife and play with her. I sub out my yard work, and do my weekend paper work before 1 on Saturday, and two hours Sunday morning and when she is napping, like now, although I am finished for the day now.

I take an hour every Wednesday and watch her do gymnastics in the afternoon and take her to the park Friday afternoon for an hour.

Definitely increses productivity and makes me a lot more money. Our workmanship is a lot better when I am in the field instead of the office during the week.

Like Inner said, I make hay while the suns out.

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Work isn't everything 7 days a week puts to much stress on life .Spend your weekends with friends and family . Go hunting , fishing , boating , Adult sports team , join a local club . You will wonder what the hell your doing even working before you know it .

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Work isn't everything 7 days a week puts to much stress on life .Spend your weekends with friends and family . Go hunting , fishing , boating , Adult sports team , join a local club . You will wonder what the hell your doing even working before you know it .
I don't mind doing a 7 day week because in a few weeks I may be sitting around home with nothing better to do than take a piss.

Job scheduling is always a juggling act, I typically have a very short window of when jobs get wired and trimmed out. Thus I often end up with a lazy week followed by an insane week instead of working 8-4 M-F.

·
Super Moderator
29,211 Posts
I agree to an extent, but I do enjoy my life and my work, and as long as mama is happy and not bitching im not home enough ill keep working my ass off. I dont waste the extra I make, 15 years from now ill have more down time with an established company and everything I own will be paid for with some rentals bringing extra income in. I made that plan 4 years ago and it has worked ever since.

Something ls you just cant miss, like a partys and sports events, evening supper and playtime, and I dont. My old man worked every bit as much when I was a kid, I never felt neglected.

As for my personal hobbies, they can wait. Ill make the sacrifice now so I can have it later.

Not arguing, just explaining the other side.

·
Super Moderator
29,211 Posts
A big part of my plan which I will stick to, was working a lot more now on networking and board service and whatnot before my kid gets into t ball and stuff. I know every Saturday and weekday evening is off limits then.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
We work 40 hrs a week as a fairly general rule. 8:00-4:30 minus 30 min for lunch. Obviously sometimes you stay later or start earlier or whatever. We almost never work Saturdays and I don't think we have ever worked a Sunday.

Not to get too preachy but the bible says it's a day of rest and that's how I feel about that. I know everybody is different though.

Dad does paper work ever day in quite sure and I handle the research end of things cause he doesn't have as much time as me.

Family is extremely important to me and the rest of the guys on the crew. We are all Christians and try our best to live it out. I don't want to reach the end and have regrets. I've got a 1 year old and another on the way. I love my boy to death and love spending time with him.

Like Jaws said, you worked harder now, you reap rewards later. That's where I am too. Flipping houses we live in to make extra money. But life's short y'all and it's not 100% about work

As a side note the idea of working 7 days a week sounds nuts but I know people do it. I like playing sports with friends and hanging out with family, etc. but to each their own.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,038 Posts
I sometimes will work on Sat if it is really needed , but I pretty much refuse to work on Sun , that is my day to go to church , fellowship with others and just my day to rest for the coming week. Was a time when I worked 12 to 16 hours a day , not anymore though. I have found over the years that work myself to death just does not get me any farther down the road. Transitioning down was just getting things in the right order. If you work all the time to make money and not spend it with your family what have you really gained?

·
Pro
2,859 Posts
Jaws said:
I agree to an extent, but I do enjoy my life and my work, and as long as mama is happy and not bitching im not home enough ill keep working my ass off. I dont waste the extra I make, 15 years from now ill have more down time with an established company and everything I own will be paid for with some rentals bringing extra income in. I made that plan 4 years ago and it has worked ever since. Something ls you just cant miss, like a partys and sports events, evening supper and playtime, and I dont. My old man worked every bit as much when I was a kid, I never felt neglected. As for my personal hobbies, they can wait. Ill make the sacrifice now so I can have it later. Not arguing, just explaining the other side.
What did it to me was the passing of my father . Working I felt was point less . 7 or 6 days a week working for Extra money and finishing jobs on time seemed important then . Now looking back Family and friends should of had more time . And now I do work second life's short . My dad and uncle never seen the age of 50 . Life cut short and try to live in the foot steps ever day .

·
Super Moderator
29,211 Posts
What did it to me was the passing of my father . Working I felt was point less . 7 or 6 days a week working for Extra money and finishing jobs on time seemed important then . Now looking back Family and friends should of had more time . And now I do work second life's short . My dad and uncle never seen the age of 50 . Life cut short and try to live in the foot steps ever day .
Thats a good point, dude.

Reactions: skillman

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,599 Posts
Work has been slow, so I am taking anything I can get these days. Today I am finishing a chickenwire garden fence for a customer. I don't mind, but it isn't exactly what I do. :laughing: Since I've been slow, I am working any day I can. It has led to some new work that is what I do. :clap:

We are moving soon and getting the new place habitable, fixing the old place, scrambling for work, working, selling off stuff, packing, now we need to clear out the warehouse we've had access to, so I have that added to our plate, etc. Pretty much not a moment that we shouldn't be doing something. Needless to say, I'm a bit burned out. However, I really don't know any other way to work.

If I take a day off to just chill and recover, I stress over what isn't getting done, or could be done. I also stress because it might be a Sunday and I finally have a nice day that I could jump on a roof repair and it will rain on Monday, though most folks take Sunday off.

I realize that when work is slow, you do what you gotta do, but then it gets busy and I get in the trap of now I'm busy and need to get all the work done, so I keep going 7 days a week.

How did you all transition to a 5 day work week, or did you, or are you working 7 days a week. The worst part is I'm actually a pretty lazy guy, if I had time to stop and think about it. :laughing:

Well, I'm off to tamp posts.
I got older. And hopefully a bit wiser. Maybe even a bit lazier.

I worked about 3100 hours a year on average for a while. I'm trying to transition down to 2500, but it's tough. I force myself to take days here and there and try not to worry about the absolute schedule. That is one of the reasons why a lot of us took up a self employed role. So we could have time to ourselves. So, do it.

The work will be there. If you end up working weekends, then steal a Tuesday from your schedule and go out fishing, or hang with your kids.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This pretty much gives me the reality of the situation in a nutshell. Thank-you.

I think once we get moved, I will get into a 5 day plus a short day mode. Starting earlier, then ending at a normal time. I can't take another year like last year. Working two full size remodels 45 minutes apart each and every day, then repairs and customer service in between. In the end all I got was burned out and didn't make much money.

The year before that I worked 6-7 days a week and ended up so sick I couldn't leave the house for nearly two months.

I suppose I should take those two situation as warning. It is just so hard to not be chasing the dream all the time. Though it starts feeling like I'm chasing my tail more than anything.

On a positive note, I should be headed out to the new place to weave in some flooring, but I'm now getting ready to head to the store and get some BBQ grub for the family. I'm done for the day. :thumbsup:

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I probably work 55 hours a week but it's at my leisure for the most part.

It's Sunday night and right now i'm in the office issuing purchase orders for this weeks projects. I'm taking Friday off though so it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I worked for a guy once who ran 7 days a week all year. He was 65 so he didn't do much actual work, just drove to the sites, got material, ect.

Day one I told him is give him all the time e wAnted except Sunday. He didn't like it but that's what I did. I just never showed up on Sunday

My buddy who worked there too did the seven day thing. Worked an eighteen day stretch then lost a week sick. Came back, did 20 days, lost two weeks sick.

It's simply not worth it. No one comes to the end of their life and goes "I really regret spending so much time with my family"

After all, I've never seen a hearse towing a u-haul trailer, you?

·
Super Moderator
29,211 Posts
I probably work 55 hours a week but it's at my leisure for the most part.

It's Sunday night and right now i'm in the office issuing purchase orders for this weeks projects. I'm taking Friday off though so it's not a big deal.
Exactly

1 - 20 of 33 Posts