Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a custom home in Southwest Florida. The builder tells me that American Standard and Trane are the same companies. I see that Trane is owned by American Standard. Are the units similar. Is Trane a higher end division. Would I be better off going with one over the other. I am not getting the super efficint models, just the 12 to 14 seer units.

Any comments?

Thanks

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As long as it has the "Climatuff" reciprocating compressor you will be fine. It doesn't matter if you have to go with the 10 SEER to get it either. You will know it is a climatuff if it is orange.

Also request a hard start kit and a TXV. If you get these 3 things properly charged with a good duct system everything will last full life span (30yrs+). Be sure to have it serviced every season so it can be washed and the capacitors checked. This unit's compressor has a built in accumulator and a trickle feed heater that is powered by an extra capacitor.

It saying Trane or American Standard is only the body style. What's under the hood is what really counts!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just make sure it is not Ameristar that is the builders grade version of american standard besides that they are identical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts