Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an airhandler going bad on an old Goodman unit. The condenser was replaced in '94 and the compressor was replaced in '02. It is a 2.5 Ton and is marginal, I am considering going to a 3 ton handler and upgrading the condenser unit in a year or two.
I called a guy that I have known for about 15 yrs., we aren't buddies, and he quoted me $2650 to install a Trane TWE036C handler. I have seen complete 2.5 units in the paper for this price, make unknown but recognizable. The tip off was $150 for a return grille plus $250 for installation, I install marine A/C and I'm not this bad. This is an easy installation, plenty of room everywhere but it is in the attic.
I'd like to hear from the pros.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Teetor, on that return grille si that the type for mounting in wall ceiling that also houses the filter? And the installation meaning cutting the hole for it and installing the filter grille (if that is what it is) and hooking it up.

Not knowing his labor rates, what he paid for his unit and his mark up, how many guys he figured, or if you needed electric back up heat. I came close to his price figuring 2 guys @ 10 hrs. (5 hrs. each) lifting in and removing old unit, recovery/evacuation/brazing of lineset, secondary drain pan (code required here) and necessary drain fitting connections, insulated return and supply duct connections, and new thermostat (basic non-programmable digital stat) and wiring (high and low voltage).. I did not include anything such as a filter grille or electric heat strips and hook up.

*Edit Forgot taxes and permits are also in there.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Doc! I wondered when you would find me.
The handler is original and was installed before the gable ends were put up, only way to get it up there. The return is in the ceiling in a hallway and does house the filter 16 1/2" X 23 1/2", this filter is also quite difficult to find and strikes me as the miniumum for the unit. They want to expand the hole for removal/replacement as the service access is very small.
There is a back up heater strip and I installed a new White- Rodgers thermostat when I moved in.
There is no mention of a new pan but I will have one made from SS before the install and probably cheaper than what he would charge me for a galvanized one.
The deal also includes 2 yrs of semi-annual service.
From your response I take it that it's a pretty fair deal?
I'll tell you what I pay for the stainless pan when I get the quote. If you want to give me the dims of your most popular size and how many you use annually, I'll get you a quote as well. This company that I deal with uses 10 tons of SS sheet monthly and it is reflected in their prices. Might make for a nice upgrade for your installations (sales tool ).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well if he is including the heater package as well as 2 service calls, that sounds like a pretty fair deal. I am a little higher than him throwing in the heater package and figuring some "rough" work for the filter etc. Again its all "guessing" but I think it is fair to say he would probably be a "middle of the road" price when it comes to bids. Not a cheap low baller but not the most expensive guy around either. SS sounds like a really nice idea. Easy to keep clean and corrosion resistant. We use an ABS type but I would be curious as to what a SS pan would run as that would be nice to put in on the "premium" installs. I will send you the info by the end of the week of our most commonly used and the amount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts