Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(hopefully this is in the right thread)
I work for a company that has built most of their name in the gutter biz although we do about anything exterior. We have 2 trailers specifically for guttering, one set up for 5" the other for 6".

We have seen an array of employees come and go, some with zero construction experience, a few claiming to know gutters, many having done siding/metal work. Depending where you do your research it costs $1000+ to train one guy. For those reading this that haven't done gutters, a newbie typically starts out as a ground guy, then graduates to installing hangers, putting together miters, downspouts, etc. In the younger years of the company, they dealt with a good deal of turnover.

We have talked about putting together a training manual that begins with loading the trailer and the machine, through installation, to post-job inspection. Pictures of OUR methods of installation would be found throughout.
It would consist of:
1. A master manual that contains absolutely everything that may be needed to know on a jobsite.
2. A manual (or broken into a short series) that new employees can take home to study (maybe with a brief test after, with incentive?).
3. A couple laminated sheets of instructions for hanging in the trailer.

I've found a couple sites that talk a little about installing gutters but nothing too impressive. We feel that the amount of time invested into putting something like this together would greatly offset the time spent training on the job site.

I'm just wanting to know what others' thoughts are on this and whether they've done/heard of anything like this.
Also, I've thought about putting it all together as a package and offering it for sale to other gutter companies for maybe $100.
I'm NOT trying to sell anything on here, just wondering if this sounds like something that others would find useful.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Every company should have this for every job position within their company. It doesn't matter what you are doing, trade or otherwise. This is a common thing in the corporate world, not so common in small business. Who has the time and money to do this, are the excuses. I say who doesn't? Like you said it costs $1k to train a new employee. It could cost 5 or 10 times that ammount to train a salesman.

IMO every company should have a series of training manuals.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Every part of construction requires skills beyond what is learned on the job because the guy does not have to answer in the end for reults and only for production. I took a 2 day window installers class the was co-sponsored by the window manufactures and you got a certification. These are available from third party companies (my was from a testin lab that did window testing, but not much inspection).

Almost all of the people in the class were "on the clock" and the employer paid them and the tuition to take the course to get certified. Some employers were GCs and most others were window installing companies. Because of the insurance claims and loses many general sub out the window installing to certified sub and will not have thier people/carpenters do it because over 60% of the windows are installed improperly. In the cases I see, the percentage is higher and the insurance companies see higher premiums for the poor installations. The cost of damage and mold gets rolled into the contractor history.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Having you also considered training videos? For roofing many installation videos can be got from the manufacturers. However that doesn't show information like how to load a truck and stage a job etc... Bring a video camera on the job with you for a few weeks then spend your down time editing some video.

Not to mention some of that video can be cut together to make a youtube commercial.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts