Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trailer that belonged to my late step father. It has been sitting for a while and I'm going to get it, strip it down, paint it and put new decking on it. It's should be great to haul a backhoe or tractor on.

The tongue on it is what I believe is called a Fulton tongue. It requires a threaded head and a underpiece that lets it lock onto the ball. (not sure of the ball size, probably 2 5/16") I don't have the hardware to attach it to the ball, it has been misplaced or probably thrown out as scrap metal but the unknowing (me possibly).

Here are some photos of what I'm working with.

I need to get hooked up to this bad boy so I can bring it home. You can see the tongue now is just bolted on. I'm not sure if I want to get some part to go with the existing tongue or just try to get a new tongue assembly all together that will bolt on.

What do you all think?
If I get parts for what's there, anyone know precisely what I need?
I have found some kits for fulton tongues with replacement parts, but I'm not 100% sure that is what it is.......

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Hard to say without seeing what's behind the current hitch, but I think I'd just buy a new (appropriate size ball here) inch hitch, cut off the current hitch back to something that's not bolted on, and weld the new one on.

Now, all this kinda relies on what's behind it and what shape it is, and what condition it's in.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
Gotta pintle hitch? If there's enough "meat" there, you could drill/torch out the hole that's there to go over a ball and lock it down with a pintle, just to get it home.

Wait.......how far is home from the trailer?

Or if one of those lines up, then that might be your solution.

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
That looks like a Wallace coupler to me. I don't ever recall seeing a Fulton being cast. My father owned a rental yard and we serviced a lot of trailers and couplers.

See if you can find a weight rating on it. If it is 5000 pounds it is most likely a 2" ball. Get a 2" ball and see how it sockets up to the coupler.

Heres the part kit you need if it is a 2";

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Wallace-Forge/WFH3RK.html

Grease the ball prior to towing the trailer.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts