Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my trailer was stolen Tuesday evening, wife thought I was back from picking up a vintage sink but it was someone else hooking up to the trailer. Luckily the trailer was recovered Friday morning but it was pretty much empty. So far it looks like they got about 12,000 in tools, totally blows my mind why they left some of what they did and took other stuff. I have spent almost two days transferring my list to the insurance companies messed up excel spreadsheet forms. Have a full day tomorrow of having list notarized, police reports, and maybe a meeting with my insurance agent.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
WOW! I'll never call my neighbor paranoid again. He keeps a heavy chain threaded through the wheel and around the leaf spring on his trailer unless he has it hooked to his truck.. even if he is in the house or very close by.

When people steal from you while people in your household are home, it shows us that some guys will stop at nothing to steal.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
ThAt sucks!!!! Tough break. When my trailer got robbed a few years back, I was baffled at the fact they took everything cordless, and nothing with a cord. I figured they were lighter and easier to pawn , but I knew they were far less valuable. Some people are scum.

I hope they catch them, stealing from working people really burns my azz'

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
ThAt sucks!!!! Tough break. When my trailer got robbed a few years back, I was baffled at the fact they took everything cordless, and nothing with a cord. I figured they were lighter and easier to pawn , but I knew they were far less valuable. Some people are scum.

I hope they catch them, stealing from working people really burns my azz'
plumber I know had a few hundred dollars worth of copper scrap stored in a big job site box a long with about $6k in tools. someone cut the lock, stole all the copper and didn't touch any of the tools.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
List was pretty damn complete just a shade over $12,000 in tools, spent the entire day chasing down detectives and filing paperwork. Decided to go out and look at where it was recovered and was amaze to find another stolen trailer on the same street. Hate to say it but every year when school gets out crime seems to go up a bit.
So on a side note I am glad the trailer has been recovered but for some reason I'm feeling like I should sell it and start fresh with a slightly larger less flashy trailer. It really bothers me to think someone is just waiting for me to fill it back up so they can get it again. I have always enjoyed going to work and I'm glad I'm off this week, but I just have a feeling that when I go back I will always be looking over my shoulder.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had two locks on the coupler, one of the inside ball lock and one lock on the coupler. Apparently a lot of the trailer thieves here in town just chain the trailer to the hitch and take off. They couldn't get into the single side door, looks like they couldn't cut the octagon shank master lock which is a good sign of a good lock. However they did cut the standard blue weather tight masters on the back door. Will be putting a car alarm in either the old trailer or the new one. Also lookin at some type of tracking device. What's everyone using for tracking devices on their trailers?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
parkside said:
Had two locks on the coupler, one of the inside ball lock and one lock on the coupler. Apparently a lot of the trailer thieves here in town just chain the trailer to the hitch and take off. They couldn't get into the single side door, looks like they couldn't cut the octagon shank master lock which is a good sign of a good lock. However they did cut the standard blue weather tight masters on the back door. Will be putting a car alarm in either the old trailer or the new one. Also lookin at some type of tracking device. What's everyone using for tracking devices on their trailers?
The mobile lock by dewalt I a great bit of kit for the money. Dies cost $19.99 a month though but that would be well worth it to get the tools back and see the look on the thief's faces when police bang on their doors. Puck locks are also a great lock. Not at all easy to cut. Wheel lock is best bet but a lot of hassle to put on and take off each time.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
I had the puck locks but was having issues with the keys, just too weak and if the lock gets dirty they get damn difficult. Broke a key off a month ago, of course when side door was anchored from inside, it was a beeotich to get the door off just to get tools to cut lock off. I live on gravel so it was real hard to keep them clean.

I have since went to these and really like them, alot actually...

The lock coveres the entire latch area and have a bit of foam on back where it touches trailer.

I got the locks from Etrailer.com and its my 3rd order from them, ordered the locks on a friday night and they were delivered Monday morning. I got normal shipping but that company is top notch on their speed to ship!

I do not have any markings on my trailer as I do not want thieves following me home or to the job and then wait for me to leave. That actually happens around here, they find you're site and come back at night or even if you leave for lunch....pvching thieves:mad:

Attachments

·
1,745 Posts
....I do not have any markings on my trailer as I do not want thieves following me home or to the job and then wait for me to leave. That actually happens around here, they find you're site and come back at night or even if you leave for lunch....pvching thieves:mad:
I don't letter my trailer because I'm afraid of theft.

I've always said that if I did letter it,
It would read

"Manure Removal"

:whistling

·
Registered
582 Posts
It really bothers me to think someone is just waiting for me to fill it back up so they can get it again. I have always enjoyed going to work and I'm glad I'm off this week, but I just have a feeling that when I go back I will always be looking over my shoulder.
When I lived in the 'hood, I had a neighbor that had his lawnmower stolen. Insurance paid up and he bought a new lawnmower. The thieves were just waiting for that, and stole the new mower, too. Third time, the guy replaced the mower, and third time, the new mower was stolen.

He now has a lawn service do his yard.

Being a victim of a crime really does take the wind out of your sails, and it can change your view of the world.

:(

Sorry to hear about your losses. There's a special place in hell for the scum that would steal a person's work tools. That's a special kind of evil - IMHO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone ever had to make a claim on their trailer insurance policy? It's not going as smoothly as I hoped it would, the police are having a difficult time inputting all the items, so I have to reformat my list so they get it done faster. The police also want a complete list broke down into recovered and still missing. Insurance adjuster won't start processing claim until she has the police report that includes the list. She has the list and the report just not the report that includes the list. Also wants all receipts, who keeps a receipt for a square or hammer?

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Allthe receipts? Thats stupid, There is no way I have all my receipts! My insurance does not require it, I went through and photographed everything and then took pics with each purchase and that's enough....at least they say so but I have not had to make a claim thankfully.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Yes, our trailer and tools were stolen end of last July, here it is July again and I am expecting the cheque finally either today or Monday.

We provided an initial list to the cops the morning Pickle discovered it was gone, about 2 months after we completed the full list, provided to the cops and insurance company...then the fighting started, not really a fight, but a long dragged out process. We went through 4 adjusters in the past year, was interviewed by each adjuster.

I provided 50% of the receipts after digging through a couple of years of files, suppliers had copies of my account so that could be used as proof, Home Depot purchases were the hardest to prove, as before we had a commercial account, without the receipt easily available it was a guessing game. Hilti keeps what we bought and serial numbers on file, everyone liked that, they didn't like Hilti prices, but did like the details. Another supplier we use had an inventory of what we bought but not serial numbers.

At the end of the day, chances are slim to none of your stuff being recovered, cops don't look for it, if they stumble across it, great, they found it.

Depending on how your policy is written will dictate how much you receive. We estimated a loss of 72,000 plus tax, had coverage for 50,000. We got 20,000 about 4 months after the theft and the balance is finally coming. I had to refuse the last one and argue until they paid the last 30,000, they were trying to only payout 39,200 saying after deductions for this and that and so on and so forth, I just held my ground and finally it's almost over.

And to this day, nothing has been recovered

1 - 20 of 40 Posts